Christmas baking

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Don't you love how multiple opened bags of the same thing wind up in the pantry? In this house it happens all the time with pasta.
That just happened to me. I knew I had finished a box of cereal the previous day, so I didn't check, just got a new one out. Only to discover that Mrs. M beat me to it.:rolleyes: So now we have 2 open boxes of cereal.

I made quite a pile of braided loaves and buns that have now been passed on to three of my kids. The one in Alberta is fresh out of luck!

We plan to just stay home , there is food in the freezer and a whole day to cook it! One kid is dealing with what seems to be the mil's final days. One kid doesn't know what is happening. One is hoping no one in the in law family gets sick and causes their plans to change. The fourth one is hunkering down with their partner at home - their first Christmas without
kids! Oh well - it will be a day traditionally celebrated as Christmas but now just a date on the calendar.

Our Calgary kids work from home and have stand by tickets for Christmas Day for direct flight to Ottawa. Hoping nothing happens to interrupt that. Our Montreal family is hoping to be able to come out Boxing Day with a plan for isolating here for about a week. Total of 7 all going well.

Yesterday I made the annual batch of lefse. It didn't take nearly as long as in previous years as it was just for the two of us. I resolutely resisted making some to send to kids' houses after hubby pointed out that I had made a fair bit of stuff for them but they hadn't reciprocated. Kinda took away the pleasure!

I met lefse from my hubby and his family. They originated in Sweden and Norway. It is a traditional kind of soft flatbread, made with mashed potatoes and flour and sparse bits of things like salt and cream. You mix it all together, roll it thinly and cook on a grill or heavy frying pan. There are recipes online. It is eaten with a variety of toppings like sugar/cinnamon, jam or jelly, Camembert/Brie, or even pickled herring rolled into a tube. In my opinion it is way better than lutefisk!

Oh not a sweet but perisky is done. Perogies are easy to buy, even my mom rarely made them. Perisky though is harder and sauerkraut even more difficult which is what my grandma always made, the potato/cheddar ones were done if she got around to it. It became extra work as Chemguy dropped a measuring cup into the stand mixer which caused the bowl to pop up and splattered everywhere. We at least had enough stuff to remake the dough. Wasn't thinking though, I was going to try to make it from what remained but decided to toss it instead of possibly wasting 7 cups of flour if it didn't turn out. If the dough was a bit off though we could have just used it for pretzels, we do that with any leftover dough.

My new favorite eggnog triffle but that needs to be assembled.

My mother had Norewegian parents and she made flapra or flatbread. It was made fromboiled potatoes, flour, lard, and salt and rolled thin. She usually fired it untilit was criisp. I prefered it ust a bit soft. Our usal toppig was butter or margarine while it was still warm.

Jusdt finished one of the chocolate chip and cranberry cookies my other half baked this afternoon. As I was scanning forums, I wondered if it was OK to celebrate baking that was not for Christmas.

Cranberries are a wyrd ingredient; they go really well, or not really. I tried dried cranberries as a sub for raisins or nuts in butter tarts and they were not a hot seller.

Cranberries are a wyrd ingredient; they go really well, or not really. I tried dried cranberries as a sub for raisins or nuts in butter tarts and they were not a hot seller.
Yeah, that doesn't really sound like a great substitution for butter tarts. I could imagine some sort of white chocolate cranberry tart though.

A late friend once bit enthusiastically into a cranberry square believing it was date ... he was quite upset at the taste he wasn't expecting ...

Cranberry squares are yummy...if that's what you're expecting.
haha yes, the expectation is a pretty big factor.
I got turned off Chinese meat buns for a good period of time when I bit into one expecting a fruit or custard filling and getting meat.

I got turned off Chinese meat buns for a good period of time when I bit into one expecting a fruit or custard filling and getting meat.

I get that. The pastry is usually quite sweet, which reinforces that expectation, although in fact, it works well because "protein plus sweet" is pretty good.

Back