Christmas baking

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
The Sandman is a fifteen minute childrens show. It used to come in some unusual vehicle or riding on an animal, then a little educational story gets told and then the Sandman opens his sack to throw his sand, which lands in the children's eyes to make them sleepy, before he gets back into his vehicle to take off. The East and the West TV version of Sandman looked differently, so when children were asked what the Sandman looked like, it would tell which TV the parents were watching and the family would have been reported to the authorities.
I suppose Sandman is not a Canadian tradition?
The Sandman would be used in various cartoons when I was a kid so the aspect was known. There was no Sandman show regular character etc. Sorta like the tooth fairy showing up in part of 1 episode.

Luce NDs

Is the sandman a gritty tale about folk wandering off without one type of awareness ... plugging into the alternate?

Sans clues or seclue Zions ... the anarchy remains ... as heavenly fallout! One has to experience it to know Beta ... the second step! Into the pits ... ascended thought ... hind or lee condition as it follows!

My dear old dad - my biological dad - was playing Santa today -brought me some vegan (and they are not normally vegan) curry dinner he and my step mom made, and a packaged fruitcake, to my door. He's been delivering goodies today. It's not like him. Have the poles shifted? Anyway, I was feeling happy and grateful that he did that, so I had a piece of dark fruitcake with a cup of coffee. Not too bad! I think it tastes better because he brought it to me. Lol.

Yesterday my step nephew who's in his 20's and his girlfriend dropped off some quince preserves, blackberry jam, and some curry chutney, and a paste called membrillo. All that they made themselves! It's a fruit paste you eat with bread and cheese. I haven't tried it yet.

And another friend from church emailed and asked for my address to deliver some baking.

I'm going to have to figure out what I can get out and deliver! I'm not delivering!

My dear old dad - my biological dad - was playing Santa today -brought me some vegan (and they are not normally vegan) curry dinner he and my step mom made, and a packaged fruitcake, to my door. He's been delivering goodies today. It's not like him. Have the poles shifted? Anyway, I was feeling happy and grateful that he did that, so I had a piece of dark fruitcake with a cup of coffee. Not too bad! I think it tastes better because he brought it to me. Lol.
Probably, he feels a bit sad that we're not all getting together this year - so, trying to fill that gap - which I totally understand.

I have kept and eaten five year old fruit cake. It was regularly moistened with rum so was delightfully moist.

Some Brits save a tier or two of their wedding cake. One to be eaten at the first anniversary and another at a later one. I've heard people claiming to be aiming at the 25th anniversary but don't know if anyone was successful!
Given my preferences, we had a chocolate cake for our wedding, with our names made out of a piece of chocolate - a chocolate sign stuck on top. I put the sign in the freezer but dropped it when I was taking something out and it broke. That's ok because so did our marriage. :oops: :( :) maybe it was a sign for the future. Or, I just accidentally dropped a frozen piece of chocolate!

Friends dropped off another gift earlier tonight (yesterday now because it's after midnight). It included 2 big homemade, frozen, unbaked cinnamon buns in an aluminum dish, with instructions! What a great idea - awesome. I know what I'm eating for breakfast! I think I'm going to eat one and give the other to the two people upstairs to cut in half and share - ok, maybe I'll be fair and try to portion them into equal pieces - or not! Maybe I won't be fair, maybe I'll eat them both. We'll see if I can restrain myself! They don't know I have 2 big homemade cinnamon buns so I'm not committed to sharing them (yes, it's gluttonous and greedy, I know *shame*)

...I'm gonna do it. I'm going to share. That's what it's all about!

Last edited:
I received 3 goody deliveries this weekend. I'm going to have to get with this trend! It's really been a long time since I remember this level of neighbourliness. It used to be more common, then everybody got too busy. It's really nice!

Last edited:
Thanks. It is a special wafer It’s ok. We will make do. Funny how your perspective changes. I bet many people will find this Christmas season their least stress full in years. No office parties. No family parties. No neighborhood parties. No need to decorate.......
Amen. There have been a couple of years where Christmas was lonely. But often it's just stressful and an expensive waste of money on stuff that we feel obligated or compelled to buy to hurry up and get ready for one day that often ends up not meeting expectations for a lot, if not most people, older than about 12. Or even younger. Once we find out the truth about Santa, it's all downhill from there! Lol. Just family who never normally see each other, or maybe see too much of each other, sitting around in bad sweaters, eating too much, and sometimes drinking too much. I always reminisce about the "idea" of it, though. It's always sentimental no matter what. Even this year. Maybe moreso because we can't do it the same way even if we were prepared and able to.

Last year I went nuts decorating, beginning before the 25th of November. The creative juices were flowing. I was feeling Christmassy. This year, not as much. It comes and goes. I've been busy with other things lately. By the end of the week I plan to put up a few decorations and twinkly lights I have in a box - but not all of them. I'm not going overboard and not buying any. (I just lied. I already bought 4 glittery silver snowflake ornaments in a package, on sale for $1.99 ? at Canadian Tire.) They get me every year when their Christmas decorations get put out. I bought those ones with the idea of them being stocking stuffers originally, though, to give to my step brother and sil for our $10 stockings that we're not doing anymore. I contemplated getting a little real table-top tree. I have a lopsided tiny fake one in the decorations box - but nobody will see it except my landlords and I doubt they're going to lose any sleep if I don't really decorate for when they come down to do laundry.

Last edited:
(I had fun last year. But I can handle it if it isn't. I'm already delighted by the goodie deliveries. That made my Christmas already.)