Christianity and Climate change

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Money speaks folks ... just listen up to how the rich and powerful rise above the subtle, lessor folk ...

Then there is that Ron Howard essay on the understanding of liberal and liberated and how it can be understood differently if you wish to work or win at listening ... I'm told the successful hates the underdog Ma! The Romans had a delightful icon for this tittering ... two sibling opposites? Thus a dam and the darker sects ... Even has SET! That's the darkness of sole ... bottom 've the pool/pul?

And the whole damn thing sows round over my head ... A' Ceded! The evolution of an unseen God as inking, blinking, etc, You should'a node Ide ...

Kind've like forest bathing ... take care about the vegetable toxins ...

unsafe

Reaction score
This is a statement from the OP --------------Now take climate change, why is it that those who bark the loudest about climate change being a hoax try to discredit the experts in the field as being green zombies?

My opinion on this ---Christians and Climate Change thing

i know this is an old thread ---but when I read this --I just had to address this ------While I agree that the weather seems to be changing ----will what humans are doing cause this world to end ------can man save this planet -------My answer is big fat No ---this planet is doomed to die and pass away ----- Not By us Humans putting gases in the air but by God Himself --who has laid out His plan to destroy this earth ------the old earth needs to be destroyed to bring in the New Earth ----What arrogance we humans have to think we can destroy the earth that God has made ------

Were we suppose to be good stewards of of the earth and all that was in it and failed badly at that ----so through our disobedience to look after God's Planet we have destroyed our reputation of being God's good stewards ------we have polluted the earth and seas with our garbage etc ---we have caused destruction on this earth for sure -----

People are running in fear that we humans are destroying this earth by fossil fuels ----etc --etc ----The Climate change experts are just Humans and their expertise in God's Plan for what He created is lacking in their knowledge of what He has planned for His earth -----that He created not us -----God trumps us humans ----

God says He will destroy this planet by Fire ------no fossil fuels ---green house gases etc mentioned ----

2 Peter 3 ---says this
2 Peter 3 (NLV)
The World Will Be Destroyed

5 But they want to forget that God spoke and the heavens were made long ago. The earth was made out of water and water was all around it. 6 Long ago the earth was covered with water and it was destroyed. 7 But the heaven we see now and the earth we live on now have been kept by His word. They will be kept until they are to be destroyed by fire.

So in verse 7---- it says the heaven we see now ----this is the greek word for heaven in this scripture ----Notice the word atmosphere here ----We humans have no jurisdiction over the atmosphere ------that is God's territory not ours ---- and it will be destroyed as God sees Fit ----we humans can't destroy the atmosphere as God never gave us control over it ---

Strong's Concordance
ouranos: heaven
Usage: heaven, (a) the visible heavens: the atmosphere, the sky, the starry heavens, (b) the spiritual heavens.

2 Peter 3:5, -the vaulted expanse of the Sky with all the things visible in it; -----

And this says -----2 Peter 3 verses 10-11NIV
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.
11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be?

i SAY ----Just my view ----

So what about Human Climate Change ------Well everyone can say and believe what they want but personally I think it is humans causing fear and anxiety in this world through their ignorance of what is really going to happen to this planet when God is ready to forward His Plan to destroy THIS EARTH and the first Heaven Himself ----

This is from ---Bible Ref--- -you can read more here ----I am just posting the summery on -----2 Peter 3

Chapter Summary
Peter dismantles the arguments of false teachers working to mislead Christians in the early church. He counters their idea that since Jesus has not yet returned, He must not be coming. Peter reminds His readers that God created the world. The flood of Noah's day is evidence that He is willing to bring judgment on the earth for sin. God is not late, He is patient and merciful. But the day of the Lord will come eventually. Everything will be destroyed. A new heaven and earth will be established. Christians should live as if that’s true.

Spirit Wind 7

Living on the edge
Reaction score
Well weighing in on all this good conversation seems a bit daunting. I believe humans are fast forwarding by a goodly amount of time
what the planet may go through eventually. I don't take the Bible writings literally as they are written by humans who are not perfect.
God, the Creator, is perfect, whole complete and Spirit. Loves without condition. I learn from this many books in one as they thought
in those Times and Ages. I believe our call is to grow in spirit and truth and it will have developed more fully in our day that it was then.

I believe as a human I am created by God to live & love as God in the world. Not so easy, but a calling to work for that end in myself,
and be an example. I think hell is a human construct as God being perfect does not need revenge, or payback, or any such thing.
But we humans have a hard time with things others do, even when society keeping things uneven paly a part in what happens... good and bad.

The church at the beginning chose to sue fear to bring people in, so a lot of rules, conditions were made to make it into God's kingdom.
These are man made rules, God does not discriminate, or look down on anyone, or any part of Creation. Is not racist, does not condemn love
between anyone. God is love. God is not the divider, or subtractor of human, or any other part of life.
The Creator does not have favourites, nor plays humans against each other. Humans do that.

My premise is God is Love in all things and so can therefore and will work with us to make a better world for us all.

All the things that this pandemic has shone the light on, the horrors of nursing homes, systemic racism,
cuttings costs for the vulnerable at both ends of life, and for the disabled, and more has given us a window where we can
go either of two directions: the two "E"s: Equity, or, Extinction. The planet will survive much longer yet, but yes, it has a shelf life as
we do. But if you remember planets turn into stars, and other things transform into other things. Some scientists say nothing
is ever really gone, It changes. And I'll leave that one to the Creator the how and what of creating energies is really not my business.

My business is to live as loving a life I can. With all people near by, and around the globe. Supporting those who need it in whatever way I can.
As long as I am able. The Old Testament seems to tll us to speak up and to be about making heaven on earth.
Bring heaven to the here and now.
Treat one another like family, for we truly are. Honour our differences and cherish the child
and be like them: open and honest and loving. Have you ever had a small child shove a cookie into your mouth? Sharing comes naturally till
we adults start making like it's not a good thing, Then comes the teaching how we share. The mind isn't quite developed till they
are 4 to 5 years old to fully grasp the why.

So equity is more like bringing heaven to the here and now and we do need to get this done.
The window, or portal is open so et us see that we accomplish more Equity than ever before. Already Ford and Kenney
are heading backwards as to reducing carbons. I wonder if we will ever learn as we see from the space shuttle reports how
clean the skies are.
I also worry about 5G and its low energy radiation that is already being pushed.
The facts, studies, research has been out there for some time. Unseen, unchecked pollution 24/7 is not a joke.
'Canadians for Safe Technology' is a site that a former President of Microsoft Canada has started to get
some safeguards in place before they have all the 20,000 satellites out there.
I use Ethernet and it does the same thing as wi-fi does and faster. Plugging in may help rural areas have internet
sooner.

God is pure love and as a Christian, I follow the Lover, The Weaver, The Master Painter, the God of Creation.
The God Jesus followed.
We can make the changes that bring Equity across the board.

Namaste
Spirit Wind 7

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Conservative Evangelical Christianity, at least in North American, is rather tied up with prosperity gospel and the notion that capitalism is ordained by God. It is rather like the bastard child of Billy Graham and Ayn Rand. Plus, of course, they also tend towards the dominion view of man's place in Nature and believe that it's somewhat irrelevant what happens to the world because Jesus is coming back soon anyhow which will change everything. Therefore, they tend to take the position that anything mandating or justifying government intervention in an economic matter as being suspect or un-Christian and tend to not care too much about green concerns in general.

The liberal/progressive Christians, IME, tend more towards a stewardship view of the world, in which we are responsible for doing God's work of caring for each other and the world. Therefore, green concerns figure higher on their agenda and they are not averse to acting against economic interests when social values or the environment conflict with them.

At least that's what I see happening. UUs, not surprisingly, tend to end up allied with the latter more so than the former.
Then there are those that shift and displace responsibility as they don't support it industrially ... it was the opposed altar! Blindness is best to avoid the conned scient ( derivative of sentient) ... thus distant awareness works with a bit of backing off and OBI's ... oboy did you see that departure?

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
Modern Christianity has been in bed with Capitalism for a quite a long time. While there have been exceptions, Christian preaching has consistently conflated service to the State with service to God. Along this way the State prospered. This bringing benefit to a small cohort of powerful Corporations. These exploiting the general population while polluting their environment. All in the name of progress; leading to the eclipse of the natural by the artificial.

Last edited:

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Modern Christianity has been in bed with Capitalism for a quite a long time. While there have been exceptions, Christian preaching has consistently conflated service to the State with service to God. So the State prospered. This bringing benefit to a small cohort of powerful Corporations. These exploiting the general population while polluting their environment. All in the name of progress leading to the eclipse of the natural by the artificial.
Is pollution like Acton's corruption of the Eire going by?

unsafe

Reaction score
First Off
Spirit Wind 7 ----you said ----- what the planet may go through eventually. I don't take the Bible writings literally as they are written by humans who are not perfect.

I say ----
Well the Bible itself disagrees with you ----as it says this ------you can read all if interested --I am posting these verses ----

2 Peter 1:12-21 (NLT)
Paying Attention to Scripture

12 Therefore, I will always remind you about these things—even though you already know them and are standing firm in the truth you have been taught.

I say --so this says the scripture is truth -----this goes against what you are saying in your statement above -----

Verse 16 says

16 For we were not making up clever stories when we told you about the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We saw his majestic splendor with our own eyes

I say --This verse says ----that they were not making up clever stories as they were Eye witnesses -----

Verses 20-21 says

20 Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding,[e]

21 or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.

I say
---these 2 verses blow your assumption out of the water -----
-they contradict what you say in your statement here-----Bible writings literally as they are written by humans who are not perfect.

So you can believe that just imperfect humans wrote the Bible ------but that is not what the Scriptures say at all --

You say you don't take the Bible Literally ------and neither do True Christians take all scripture Literally ----For instance ---- if you take this scripture literally then Jesus here would be a piece of wood -and Jesus is not made of Wood ----

John 10:9 ---Jesus is speaking here ----- I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved,

So a Bible believing Christian believes that Jesus is the only way to be saved ---so what this scripture says is the absolute Truth to a True Christian ---

Now This scripture needs to be taken Literally -----as it is straight forward and clear in what it says -----
1 John 4:8---God is Love ---

Even you believe that ---as you said it in your post -----So you believe this scripture but yet say it was written by imperfect humans and shouldn't be taken Literal-----but you do take it literally according to what you say here from your post ------ My premise is God is Love ---

Understanding scripture is needed Spirit Wind 7 and when you receive Jesus in your heart the Holy Spirit comes and indwells us and through the Holy Spirit helping us we can make sense of what the true meaning of the scripture is saying ------

This scripture can be taken literally -------John 17:17 --- your word is truth.

Spirit Wind 7

Living on the edge
Reaction score
I also am inspired as many are but I what I write, or think is b not perfect in love as God is. I worship God alone,
not any writings, not any human or any sayings. The Spirit of God alone.
What people write informs me certainly, but much of the Gospels were written decades after Jesus so much is memory so catches
their idea of their experience. That is inspiring but still humans as are in a process that is ongoing till our own death. Then our spirit is changed and
moves on to the next life. The Bible is a guide, not a weapon. We have been given free choice to choose, yet freedom brings responsibility as you know.
If the world is in a mess and it sure looks and acts like it is, it's because we have not loved our neighbour as ourselves.
Love God, yourself, and your neighbour.

spirit wind 7

Luce NDs

Reaction score
I also am inspired as many are but I what I write, or think is b not perfect in love as God is. I worship God alone,
not any writings, not any human or any sayings. The Spirit of God alone.
What people write informs me certainly, but much of the Gospels were written decades after Jesus so much is memory so catches
their idea of their experience. That is inspiring but still humans as are in a process that is ongoing till our own death. Then our spirit is changed and
moves on to the next life. The Bible is a guide, not a weapon. We have been given free choice to choose, yet freedom brings responsibility as you know.
If the world is in a mess and it sure looks and acts like it is, it's because we have not loved our neighbour as ourselves.

spirit wind 7
That appears integral or accrued information encompassed ... as some plots would rather dispel in their hate for outside information, data and intelligence as a knowledge hated by altar gods ... they sacrificed their processing solos ... thus psyche and sophie re yet beyond the mortal bloke ...

unsafe

Reaction score
Spirit Wind 7 ------You are so right in what you say here ---and thank you for having it in the right order ------

Most skip the first Command ------which is Love God first with all your heart-- soul and mind ----and from God being indwelled in us we love ourselves because God first loved us and only then can we Love our neighbour ---which is Agape by the way not human love ------ which has conditions attached to it --------Agape is a fruit of the Holy Spirit who dwells in us and gives us the ability to Agape our neighbour no matter what color they are or what they have done in their lives or to us personally ----------we are to Agape them ----

So good for you for putting God first ------so again you do take scripture Literal as you have indicated in your statement here -above -----

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Spirit Wind 7 ------You are so right in what you say here ---and thank you for having it in the right order ------

Most skip the first Command ------which is Love God first with all your heart-- soul and mind ----and from God being indwelled in us we love ourselves because God first loved us and only then can we Love our neighbour ---which is Agape by the way not human love ------ which has conditions attached to it --------Agape is a fruit of the Holy Spirit who dwells in us and gives us the ability to Agape our neighbour no matter what color they are or what they have done in their lives or to us personally ----------we are to Agape them ----

So good for you for putting God first ------so again you do take scripture Literal as you have indicated in your statement here -above -----

Yet such hate is retained as a remnant ... for the left anyhows! --- Bertha Beta than thou tomates!

Spirit Wind 7

Living on the edge
Reaction score
I do take some of what is written, found and gathered into this book, Bible, but not all of it. God
is always first. I worship God, no other, God is perfect love so needs nothing from us to be God, and Creator.
But love that is way beyond us made all there is. I don't use God as the fall guy that backs what I do and the Bible has that
for as humans that is what was believed in that age.

I do believe how people form anywhere in the world see God, or come to God is God's alone. Where you grow up is
where and what you are taught y how people lived. I don't believe God calls people to kills other people. That would smash any idea that
God is perfect and whole and that God's is good. 'Thou shall not kill' has been trampled on by all sorts of
religions and faiths down the ages.

The total premise of my faith is God is pure Love, God's love made it all and loves it completely.
I am accepted without conditions, and so is each and every human being born. No matter what.
Otherwise, why would I believe?

People come to God by love only. Fear is cast out by perfect love, so no fear used is truthful about who God is.

There are many paths to God. Only love is right and holy. I as a human being cannot tell God
who to accept and who not to. God already accepts us all as we are. We are born with original blessing,
Thanks be to God.

Spirit wind 7

unsafe

Reaction score
Spirit Wind 7 ---your statement here ----- here are many paths to God.

I say ----a Big Fat NO to this statement there Spirit Wind 7 --and so does God ------there is only one way back to God there Spirit Wind 7 according to God -----and that is by and through us receiving His Son Jesus Christ who died ans shed His Blood to Free you and us all of all our sin -------Sin separates us from God Spirit Wind 7 ---God the Father sent His Son to be the bridge for us to reconnect back to God by receiving His Son -----if you reject Jesus the Son of God then you The Father also as the 2 are ONE ----So why should God have anything to do with us---if it is our choice to reject God then God out of His Love for us allows us to reject Him----He leaves up to our worldly desires ----God does not force anyone to Receive His Son ----but it is a requirement to reside with Him in Heaven ------

Source: Topical Bible VersesSin-Separates-From-God

Isaiah 59:2

But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God,
And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.

1 Corinthians 15:17
and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

Exodus 32:33
The Lord said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.

I say ----Spirit Wind 7 ---some imperfect Human as been feeding you a lie and Wrong Doctrine --------and notice that God is saying He keeps a Book ----it is called the Book of Life ------and if your name is not in this book your in Big Trouble IN --
the end
God is a God Of Love but He also is a God of His Word -- Jesus is the Word Spirit Wind 7 ----the Word became Flesh John 1 -----The Word you read is God who came in the flesh and dwelt among us -------

Without Jesus we are doomed ----------our choice to reject or accept the truth here and out of God's Love for us we have the right to choose our end path ---No one can blame God for where they end up ----we came just blame our wrong choice

John 14:6

6 Jesus answered,I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Luce NDs

Reaction score

I say ----a Big Fat NO to this statement there Spirit Wind 7 --and so does God ------there is only one way back to God there Spirit Wind 7 according to God -----and that is by and through us receiving His Son Jesus Christ who died ans shed His Blood to Free you and us all of all our sin -------Sin separates us from God Spirit Wind 7 ---God the Father sent His Son to be the bridge for us to reconnect back to God by receiving His Son -----if you reject Jesus the Son of God then you The Father also as the 2 are ONE ----So why should God have anything to do with us---if it is our choice to reject God then God out of His Love for us allows us to reject Him----He leaves up to our worldly desires ----God does not force anyone to Receive His Son ----but it is a requirement to reside with Him in Heaven ------

and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

The Lord said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.

I say ----Spirit Wind 7 ---some imperfect Human as been feeding you a lie and Wrong Doctrine --------and notice that God is saying He keeps a Book ----it is called the Book of Life ------and if your name is not in this book your in Big Trouble IN --
the end
God is a God Of Love but He also is a God of His Word -- Jesus is the Word Spirit Wind 7 ----the Word became Flesh John 1 -----The Word you read is God who came in the flesh and dwelt among us -------

Without Jesus we are doomed ----------our choice to reject or accept the truth here and out of God's Love for us we have the right to choose our end path ---No one can blame God for where they end up ----we came just blame our wrong choice

6 Jesus answered,I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Piles and piles of the narrow way ... considering the eternal stretch of the topic ... extremely contrary to the Bishop of Myra that said god was a point all over the place without limits (unlike the mortal perspective) ... thus the path is lost to them!

Scott Peck stated a Path Less Traveled to get the wisdom of God ... avoidance of the whole item ... and the stuff inbetwixt! Then that is another larger narrative than the confined one ... tis dark in nere ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score

the end

Wow. You can turn around all of your little ventures into understanding other perspectives by retreating right back into. "You'll burn! You'll be sorry! Be Very Afraid!"

There are a huge variety of theological explanations for the necessity of "At One Ment" with Godde; a re-uniting of a human or other spirit into the Divine One-ness, and "yours" isn't the only one. Although certainly the one that portrays god in the most violent and unreasonable fashion.

unsafe

Reaction score
BetteTheRed ------you can wish all you want to ---but the word says what it says ----you have chosen not to believe it and that is your right -----as it is Spirit Winds 7 Right ---but Jesus is the Word according to Scripture and Jesus is the only way to Heaven according to Scripture -----and without Jesus we are doomed and that is what the scriptures say -------we can disagree if we want to but that does not change what God says in His word ------and there is a book of Life that is Kept by God and that is not the only book that is kept ---all according to scripture ------the scripture says BookS ---PLURAL

We can wish ---but we can't be sure God's word is wrong ABOUT THIS

Better to have the Knowledge and be wise than to be ignorant and unaware of it -----in my view anyway ----it is not fear mongering --it is speaking what the words says ----- knowledge of what can be true -----Revelations should be taught in every Church -in my opinion ---

Revelations 20-NKJV

The Great White Throne Judgment
11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before [c]God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
BetteTheRed ------you can wish all you want to ---but the word says what it says ----you have chosen not to believe it and that is your right -----as it is Spirit Winds 7 Right ---but Jesus is the Word according to Scripture and Jesus is the only way to Heaven according to Scripture -----and without Jesus we are doomed and that is what the scriptures say -------we can disagree if we want to but that does not change what God says in His word ------and there is a book of Life that is Kept by God and that is not the only book that is kept ---all according to scripture ------the scripture says BookS ---PLURAL

We can wish ---but we can't be sure God's word is wrong ABOUT THIS

Better to have the Knowledge and be wise than to be ignorant and unaware of it -----in my view anyway ----it is not fear mongering --it is speaking what the words says ----- knowledge of what can be true -----Revelations should be taught in every Church -in my opinion ---

Revelations 20-NKJV

The Great White Throne Judgment
11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before [c]God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life.
Vanilla water closet stuff? White washed ...

Spirit Wind 7

Living on the edge
Reaction score
Wow... all this human thought which is any human writing. If I 'burn in hell. because I believe God is total love and is
Spirit and not human... so be it.

What is love that is perfect ad whole and does not need us to fulfill itself? I have to make this the basis if all life and my own.
Love is what God is and not judgmental like we are. Has no need to kill, or destroy like we have done... we humans.
We have to admit e play a part in\
every good things and every bad thing that happens. Because we make up society.
I believe hell is a human construct. Maybe the church did that looking to bring people to faith.
But that is not God's way of doing things.
God is live not hate.
Growing the faith is to grow in love. Jesus healed the ear cut if when he was arrested and stated that the
Kingdom would not be brought in by the sword.
Sword, can kill, it be ideas that divide rathe than bring people together in love.

Humans decide to divide and subtract when God said to go forth and multiply. To have families and love all creation.
Respecting each other's ways that are inclusive and loving.
Again... bringing heaven to our actions on earth will help to turn earth into heaven.

The human ego stands strong often against itself by treating people badly. The Bible is a gathering of writings
made into books. Decided by men of a faith background as r=to what and which would go into it.
It is not in chronological order and we the definitely sure about who wrote some of the books.

I don't worship it or what id in it. I worship the living breathing Spirit of God that lives among us and
comes in when invited, that the book is telling us about. The book varies within itself.
Yet God's love still works in us all the time. We can shut it down, out and suppress its love in us, but it will
still and always will Love us anyway. God never shuts us out. we can shut God out of sight, but God is always
there waiting to be let in.

These are my beliefs that my life has grown to understand and believe. Love, God is a verb, actively engaging us.
We can pray to see that work in us so we share that it is in you and everyone else.
Love frees us to learn and grow up in the Spirit....
i cannot live in a past I didn't have eons ago, I can only live today and keep faithful.
The Bible helps me ground my being in God's love and know each and every person is also beloved the same.
Love that is perfect has nothing of our human shadow side. But knows we have it.
I don't believe in payback, but I do believe in forgiveness.

Let us encompass our hearts, and spread it out that God is love and you are unique and beloved.
Perfect love casts out fear. Only God's love is supreme.

I'm off to a zoom fireside birthday party. We are getting creative in how we can celebrate.

God bless...
Spirit wind 7

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I'm off to a zoom fireside birthday party. We are getting creative in how we can celebrate.
We are indeed, and it involves less driving. Some of these changes may ameliorate climate change.

Speaking of, our Tuesday night group has been looking into Doughnut Economics recently, and I found a fascinating "how to manual" in PDF form, on how to model sustainable economics on a city level. Doughnut Economics for CitiesThree cities are running pilot projects for progressing towards sustainable cities: Portland, Amsterdam and Philadelphia.

And I too am "off" to the laptop in the living room for aforementioned Zoom meeting in less than half an hour. Gotta get critters fed first so there's no Lucy- or Atwood-bombing of said meeting. They can both be some noisy if life is not to their liking.