Champagne wishes and caviar dreams

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
If you remember that phrase, then you probably remember Robin Leach and his Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. I watched it occasionally but not being a big celeb-watcher, wasn't a fan. Leach has gone off to his own caviar dreams, dying of a stroke at 76.

Robin Leach, 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' host, dies at 76 - CNN

Did you watch his show? Do the "lifestyles of the rich and famous" interest you?

Carolla

wondering & wandering
We used to watch it from time to time. Leach had a distinctive voice, that's for sure.

I do occasionally watch a programme on 'extraordinary homes' - which often are also very expensive custom homes. I enjoy seeing all the differing styles of architecture from around the world - similarities and differences. It's not really a curiousity about 'lifestyles' - that stuff doesn't much interest me.

We used to watch it from time to time. Leach had a distinctive voice, that's for sure.

I do occasionally watch a programme on 'extraordinary homes' - which often are also very expensive custom homes. I enjoy seeing all the differing styles of architecture from around the world - similarities and differences. It's not really a curiousity about 'lifestyles' - that stuff doesn't much interest me.
Yes, I remember Robin Leach’s voice! May he Rest In Peace.

I’ve watched Extraordiary Homes too. They are not always ( but often) opulent. I watched an episode about the home blending with nature around it, which was interesting.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
I enjoy seeing all the differing styles of architecture from around the world

Me, too. I preferred the column in Popular Science (I think that's where I saw it) where they looked at cutting edge home designs. They often featured homes with energy saving features, optimized use of space, and that sort of thing. And this was in the eighties before climate change became the big issue it is today.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
So explain to me all of the new houses we (sister and I) saw today in our drive from Barrie to London (to visit my godfather and do ancient Heilite tent trailer investigation; no time to visit gorillas...) New homes all over the place, especially in pockets of Caledon. They look EXACTLY like the new homes in the new development (not a single developer; a bunch of pretty large, pretty treed, $250,000 lots on one new road off a dead end Line) a line over from my old guys place. Monster homes with three garages, all out front, and a dizzying and mismatched mess of roof lines. Not a single metal roof, which if I were paying for a custom design (even though they LOOK like they are architectural clones, they often have different builders) and an expensive fricking lot, would seem like one of those add-ons that would be worthwhile. Ugly, ill-designed, clone-ish feeling monstrosities. What is wrong with some people? In my neighbourhood, just a couple of streets over, are houses some 15 years older than my own; just post-war. Smallish single level bungalows on decent-sized lots. They are gradually being torn down and every one has been replaced with a home that damn near fills the lot. With three garage doors right out front.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
So explain to me all of the new houses we (sister and I) saw today in our drive from Barrie to London (to visit my godfather and do ancient Heilite tent trailer investigation; no time to visit gorillas...) New homes all over the place, especially in pockets of Caledon. They look EXACTLY like the new homes in the new development (not a single developer; a bunch of pretty large, pretty treed, $250,000 lots on one new road off a dead end Line) a line over from my old guys place. Monster homes with three garages, all out front, and a dizzying and mismatched mess of roof lines. Not a single metal roof, which if I were paying for a custom design (even though they LOOK like they are architectural clones, they often have different builders) and an expensive fricking lot, would seem like one of those add-ons that would be worthwhile. Ugly, ill-designed, clone-ish feeling monstrosities. What is wrong with some people? In my neighbourhood, just a couple of streets over, are houses some 15 years older than my own; just post-war. Smallish single level bungalows on decent-sized lots. They are gradually being torn down and every one has been replaced with a home that damn near fills the lot. With three garage doors right out front.

We are seeing it here, too. There's a pocket near me where big 70s or 80s houses are gradually being torn down and replaced with even bigger current ones. Builders and their architects lack imagination and most people who buy new homes aren't packing the time or money to do a totally custom job. Most, including us, just take a plan the builder already has on file and tweak it or do some upgrades. I am actually fairly happy with mine, but it is far from monstrous compared with what's in the newer areas North of me.

Luce NDs

At what cost to the milieu (the surrounding or limited environment)?

Who will pay for the extravagance? Lessor folk ... so that they can be exterminated a wasted ... to no end ... a story of finitude?