Cancer Screening Letters: Colon, Breast, Cervix

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

JayneWonders

Administrator
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
AS part of the forum / article linked below, there was some great dialogue regarding getting the letters and getting them to the right address A Bit about this Journey

We put the post up for Ontario, but, don't have it for other provinces.

Plus there is the challenge of address changes.

I think it is likely something that there is wisdom in the group about, and could have some interesting dialogue.

@BetteTheRed , @ChemGal what do you think?

I did get, fairly recently, the colon screening kit, and the reminder re mammogram due. I did both.

I dont' recollect ever getting a letter for cervical screening, even though, i had an indication years before that would have put me in the risk factor.

Do others get their letters?

Also, i recently chased the whole bit down about why my address wasn't in the special database base run by Canada Post. It turned out to be an error, and they said it should be corrected within 3 weeks.
PO Boxes are not in their, but, anyone with a mailing address shoudl be in it.
You can check your address using this link: AddressComplete - International Address Finder
If it doesn't show, use the contact information for support.

I did get, fairly recently, the colon screening kit, and the reminder re mammogram due. I did both.

I dont' recollect ever getting a letter for cervical screening, even though, i had an indication years before that would have put me in the risk factor.

Do others get their letters?
After my address issue I pushed to opt out. When my doctor wasn't even aware the results were sent like that I felt really uncomfortable especially with no control over where it was sent.

I would feel better about reminders online. The system seems set up for that but it's not active at least not for me.

Ours is all paper in Ontario.

Get regular notices re mammograms, which I'm spotty about, colonoscopies, which I'm quite rigid about, family history, but I don't get any reminders from anyone regarding pap screens.

And mine is certainly not an address problem.

Just had my pap smear done last week. Mammogram booked for next week after receiving it in the mail and blood work has been done. Ultra sounds booked also.
Mom passed at 49 from cancer and sister from ovarian cancer and breast cancer at 56.
I seem to have avoided those so far but I have had melanoma removed from back and leg so super diligent about that.

I know I get letters re Mammograms - got one last spring right before lockdown, so I haven't followed up yet. Thanks for the reminder.

I do have regular colonoscopies as my mom died with colon cancer (from adverse response to chemo, sadly) - I don't recall getting letters for that - usually noted at physician appointment I think.

I don't recall any letters re PAP smears - also usually managed via physician I think.

Hey @Carolla . Interesting re different responses re letters

Note: phoned for mammogram on a Monday or Tuesday and got it done Friday. Was surprised how quick and easy.

Just checked my file - I did get results letters for both mammograms & PAP smears. Both contain recommendations for interval scheduling for next tests. I do get a letter reminding me that mammogram is due, but not for cervical swabs.

We don't need a doctor to in order to get a mammogram.....we can book it ourselves by phoning. I personally now will just place a reminder on my my phone for the next one.

Well, being male I only get colon screening ones. Negative on the last one. I do know Mrs. M gets the breast screening ones but I thought her pap smears were just scheduled with her gynecologist. Don't recall ever seeing her get letters about it.

Do prostate tests get sent automatically with letters?
Nope because only at risk men or men with a suspect rectal exam are supposed to get PSA testing. The rate of false positives is too high for regular screening or something like that. Doctors are supposed to do a prostate exam (yeah, been there, done that, don't want the t-shirt) at your annual once you're over a certain age (forget the exact age), though.

We don't need a doctor to in order to get a mammogram.....we can book it ourselves by phoning. I personally now will just place a reminder on my my phone for the next one.
Huh, are there restrictions?
I jut find it a bit odd to go and be able to as for standard stuff I needed I had a doctor forget to check off a box once and the lab refused to do it. They have been sticklers about expiration dates too, even with COVID.

Huh, are there restrictions?
I jut find it a bit odd to go and be able to as for standard stuff I needed I had a doctor forget to check off a box once and the lab refused to do it. They have been sticklers about expiration dates too, even with COVID.
For mammograms in Ontario, it is handled by a central registry rather than individual doctors. Once you get your letter advising that you are due, you just call the local centre (usually in a hospital) to book. Your primary care does get cc'd on the results, I think. Given how many people in Ontario are running without primary care, this is probably the best way to make sure women are getting it done. Someone who is just relying on urgent care or walk-ins likely isn't going to the doctor for stuff like this, just when they actually have symptoms.

For mammograms in Ontario, it is handled by a central registry rather than individual doctors. Once you get your letter advising that you are due, you just call the local centre (usually in a hospital) to book. Your primary care does get cc'd on the results, I think. Given how many people in Ontario are running without primary care, this is probably the best way to make sure women are getting it done. Someone who is just relying on urgent care or walk-ins likely isn't going to the doctor for stuff like this, just when they actually have symptoms.
How does that work when risk factors vary though? What about ultrasounds?

For me, I used to go to hospital but now go to clinic in the same medical strip mall as my doctor. Works well

Back