Canada Votes, 2019

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Oh, Lastpointe - The American economy is NOT doing well. In fact, there has been rising joblessness. You are reading too many Trump speeches. When he (or any) politician announces employment figures, he ignores those who have given up looking for jobs that aren't there. That's a practice in Canada, too.

The reality in both Canada and the U.S. is that living standards have been dropping for many years now. And if there is an economic collapse (which is quite likely due to our lack of social services and our throwing of billions at the very rich), you can bet that the rich won't lose a thing.
(The story that the wealthy were jumping out of windows on Wall St. in 1927) is pure rubbish.

And if you pay 53% in taxes, I can't cry for you. Such a tax bill suggests an income a lot higher than those of the millions in Canada and the U.S. who live in poverty - and the many more millions who have to survive on minimum wage. You work hard for your money? So do those who have to live on minimum wage.

I grew up in poverty (without realizing it was poverty. The same was true of my elementary school friends. Most of them stayed poor for the rest of their lives. They weren't dumb or lazy. Growing up poor makes poverty your real world. And you stay there because you think it's normal. Better schooling could change that - but we only have enough education money to help out private schools for rich kids.

Oh, Lastpointe - The American economy is NOT doing well. In fact, there has been rising joblessness. You are reading too many Trump speeches. When he (or any) politician announces employment figures, he ignores those who have given up looking for jobs that aren't there. That's a practice in Canada, too.

The reality in both Canada and the U.S. is that living standards have been dropping for many years now. And if there is an economic collapse (which is quite likely due to our lack of social services and our throwing of billions at the very rich), you can bet that the rich won't lose a thing.
(The story that the wealthy were jumping out of windows on Wall St. in 1927) is pure rubbish.

And if you pay 53% in taxes, I can't cry for you. Such a tax bill suggests an income a lot higher than those of the millions in Canada and the U.S. who live in poverty - and the many more millions who have to survive on minimum wage. You work hard for your money? So do those who have to live on minimum wage.

I grew up in poverty (without realizing it was poverty. The same was true of my elementary school friends. Most of them stayed poor for the rest of their lives. They weren't dumb or lazy. Growing up poor makes poverty your real world. And you stay there because you think it's normal. Better schooling could change that - but we only have enough education money to help out private schools for rich kids.
Taxes are an i teresting subject. Here a comparison by province
I didn’t know that NS has the highest tax ( provincial and federal combined) of 54%. ( I am below that). But then you also have to calculate in that some provinces have deductions for healthcare and NS doesn’t.
Also interesting to compare countries. But again there are social deductions that are not part of income tax, which makes comparison difficult. And then the consumer pricing is different. I find food prices in Germany are half of what I am spending for food in NS.

I agree we have done well. Worked hard , good education and luck I expect. Did I ask you to cry for me? Simply saying where is this extra money to come from

Why is it that doing well and making money is somehow a bad thing in canada

Singh talks about taxing things like expensive cars. So now, it is not only a bad thing to be successful but you are going to be taxed extra too

As to the usa economy. Just reading the papers. Low unemployment, rising stock market,

Obviously there are lots of metrics to measure a country. And th USA falls terribly short on health care, social support, maternity leave, education levels, and a host of other things. I would never suggest it is a model society of anything

There was an old theory about paying according to the gift of ability ...that is now considered old fashioned and the "better off" should give up nothing ... thus love goes!

Quid pro quo thus fails ... and those without get nothing ... in the well-to-do circle nothing but jerks and fits!

Some neurological conditions even allow for twitches ...

The extra money is to come from billionaires who, until now, are entitled to avoid paying income tax, thus sticking the rest of us to pay. On that, we lose billions every year. Is that hard to understand?

To make it worse, billionaires expect us to pay for their wars. Why on earth did we have troops killing and dying in Afghanistan? That was a thoroughly illegal war. But we sent Canadians to kill and die because American billionaires wanted us to - and Canadian billionaires depend on close relations with their American brethren. That's also why Trudeau was kissing up to the U.S. (and still is) over Venezuela. That's why Canadians died in Korea. (Did you t hink that was a war to bring democracy? Get real.)

It's not a crime to get rich. It's a crime not to recognize that millions of other people don't get that chance to be rich - and we all need to help each other. There are CAnadians sleeping in the streets. It's not because they're too lazy and too stupid to work. I'm a child of the great depression. My father worked hard. But it wasn't enough. On winter nights and weekends, he shovelled snow for the city. And at that we were pressed for our monthly rent of $11. I got one pair of shoes each year. Winter clothes? whatever handouts could be found. School lunch? rare. He worked hard all his life. But he never got to give $53,000 for income tax.

Of my grade 1 class, only 1 student finished elementary school. No. It wasn't me. I was kicked out in grade 11 after failing grade 10. In our end of town we grew up with no expectations - and our parents expected nothing. It's still like that in a poor district. (The only medical care we ever had was a school nurse who searched our heads for lice in front of the class.)

The only few signs on my street now are orange. There is a green one around the corner. And, the place where Singh had his rally the other day, I would think - in that pocket of the city, it’s well to do “old money” (a few minutes away in a different pocket where I am, it’s more NDP and Green - it would be a red and blue area...but there was a big turnout for the NDP there.

I’m quoting Elizabeth May, as quoted in this article. Singh’s campaign quoted what May herself has said - and she has a record of taking up flakey positions, not properly screening candidates, or not being firm because she wants to be too nice to everybody...that’s on her...and she missed the fact that this is a tough election and more critical time than ever, that requires being tough, fighting for what you believe in, and not being wish washy. If this was the hardest thing she’s ever had to endure...that’s nothing compared to being a world leader! That’s nothing compared to a lot of circumstances!... there’s no way she can be a PM in these times. She seems fragile and whiney right now (not good leadership qualities), honestly, and this is coming from somebody who thinks she’s a nice person with several good policies. I appreciate her being in parliament but I don’t think she should be PM.

“Now all the media is covering this now, that this was a dirty election and that people lied -- the Conservatives lied about the Liberals, the Liberals lied about the Conservatives, the NDP continue to lie about the Greens. It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure." (Italitics, mine)

Last edited:
It was said on CBC this morning that May said proportional elections would prevent populists being elected. Not sure how she gets that idea. proportional elections would increase the chances for populist parties, unless there are safeguards in place. However, we do need a proportional voting system, just this wasn’t the right argument.

There's an old theory that you need a crooked person as a leader ... for these brutish little folk expect nothing but lies ... it is the culture that they've gotten used to!

Thus the polity is laid out ... a bit of a cosmological joke?

There's an old theory that you need a crooked person as a leader ... for these brutish little folk expect nothing but lies ... it is the culture that they've gotten used to!

Thus the polity is laid out ... a bit of a cosmological joke?
I don’t think Singh or May are crooked. I think Singh highlighted that May’s party isn’t very solid because of the candidates she’s let in before, and because she’s afraid to set firm boundaries with those she would have to work with. To me, the fact that this election campaign season was the hardest thing she’s ever endured means she won’t be able to handle being PM. It’s not even nearly as hard as the day to day circumstances of many people, let alone “big league” politics...politics is tough. She is good at speaking truth to power in parliament, where she doesn’t have much on the line. If she can’t handle Singh, how would she manage on the world stage right now? Most people couldn’t do it - one has to have a very thick skin - and I think she might be better off staying as an advocate in parliament but not a world leader.

Last edited:
To be honest, it may be time for Green to be having a leadership challenge. She's been around for a long time and, while she has achieved a lot, it may time for some new blood at the top in that party.

Of course, the Conservatives or Liberals could be headed down that road, too, depending on what happens. I think Singh is safe for now, even with the NDP's contraction (assuming the polls hold and they do contract). Bloc leader (forget his name offhand), OTOH, is probably safe given that they've managed to make something of a comeback this time.

To be honest, it may be time for Green to be having a leadership challenge. She's been around for a long time and, while she has achieved a lot, it may time for some new blood at the top in that party.

Of course, the Conservatives or Liberals could be headed down that road, too, depending on what happens. I think Singh is safe for now, even with the NDP's contraction (assuming the polls hold and they do contract). Bloc leader (forget his name offhand), OTOH, is probably safe given that they've managed to make something of a comeback this time.
How long until Kenney goes back to federal?

Thick skinned ... does this limit the potential for the abusive powers?

They cannot feel ...
And if they feel too insulted by political digs they risk not making rational choices. Somebody who can straddle the line between empathy for citizens concerns and not taking things too personally when working as a politician is needed (we've seen, down South, someone who takes everything personally and makes irrational decisions...out of spite in his case.) Of course, May's policies are far different and she's an honest person, not a malignant narcissist...but a complete empath would be a terrible leader when dealing with "strongmen"... like Putin or Trump, or Erdogan, etc . It's as bad as a complete narcissist on the opposite end. They need to maintain a balance (I couldn't take it either. It would traumatize me. It's a tough job for even the best equipped to handle it.) Look at how well Singh manages racist insults - which are lies based on stereotypes - which he's used to hearing all the time. He handles it personally like water off a duck's back, while still addressing it broadly.

Last edited:
Well, he's got almost 4 years to go as a provincial Premier still. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to federal...but I'm not fussed about him anyway.
Not happy with him leading the province.
I would really like to see a good Conservative leader, who is progressive on social issues. Kenney isn't that person, but I suspect he's had his eye on PM for a long time.

I would really like to see a good Conservative leader, who is progressive on social issues. Kenney isn't that person, but I suspect he's had his eye on PM for a long time.
I can't see a socially progressive Conservative leader happening there. It's one of the bible belts.

I agree. It would be interesting to see if he throws his hat into a leadership race if Scheer doesn't pull a win off tonight. i don't see Kenney as someone with a lot of integrity.

I've thought that Alberta was pretty progressive conservative. I was impressed with the health and social services in place when I started working there. Sadly, that has been changing.

I can't see a socially progressive Conservative leader happening there. It's one of the bible belts.

Are you saying Alberta is a bible belt? It's like BC and other areas. There are areas that are bible belt-ish. The province is not a bible belt as a whole.

I agree. It would be interesting to see if he throws his hat into a leadership race if Scheer doesn't pull a win off tonight. i don't see Kenney as someone with a lot of integrity.

I've thought that Alberta was pretty progressive conservative. I was impressed with the health and social services in place when I started working there. Sadly, that has been changing.

Are you saying Alberta is a bible belt? It's like BC and other areas. There are areas that are bible belt-ish. The province is not a bible belt as a whole.
My impression is that it's more so than BC - that there are more right wing Christians in AB (and far more of any Christians than in BC - BC is the least "religious" province overall, in Canada): Especially Edmonton and the rural towns around it. But, we do have Langley, Delta and Abbottsford - Bible Belt towns in BC.

Back