Canada Votes, 2019

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I'm still going NDP. I like May, we need her to provide a strong voice and strong leadership here and abroad, on environmental issues. We need her to have more seats - and we need Singh for the broader socioeconomic issues, to lead.

Scheer would have been a good basis for a drinking game. Take a drink everytime he invokes the name "Justin Trudeau". I probably would not have made it through to the end had I done that.

I liked Singh's humour, especially when he was called Mr Scheer a couple of times. It was nice to see him in action. He handled himself well. It would be great if he and May were the top two, PM and Opposition.

I LOVED when Ms May said that Scheer would not be PM. I sure hope she's right. She's a wise woman.

It's nice being in the "flaky" part of BC after having been in a region that would elect a fence post if it ran for the conservative party for so long. ;)

I can stand people interrupting and yelling at each other only for a limited time. I think it was about 80 minutes. It seemed to me that Justin stayed calm and continued to not answer direct questions, which, if you don’t really listen to what they are not saying, still paints a pretty good picture.
How many people do you think , other than professionally, listened to the whole thing?

I can stand people interrupting and yelling at each other only for a limited time. I think it was about 80 minutes. It seemed to me that Justin stayed calm and continued to not answer direct questions, which, if you don’t really listen to what they are not saying, still paints a pretty good picture.
How many people do you think , other than professionally, listened to the whole thing?

There is a thing fighting for governing order ... and then they act like disorderly kids when feeling empowered!

Is this denial of reason or just overpuffed ignorance? Thus the damn thing appears like 'elle ... smoking mad!

I watched the first hour of the leaders debate last night. Impressions? First - I was totally put off by Scheer's first opportunity to speak right off the top when he offered not any sort of explanation of Conservative policy but just simply launched a personal smear attack against Trudeau. He lost me right there. Trudeau I thought was vague but defended himself well enough. I've been impressed with Singh and generally was again last night. Something about May doesn't work for me. Can't quite put my finger on it but it's there. Bernier - while I dislike many of his policies immensely - actually, I thought, came off as reasonable. Having seen Blanchet now, I can understand why the Bloc has been rising in the polls in Quebec. He's very impressive. We may be back into the situation we were in when Duceppe led the Bloc - the leader who many think would make the best prime minister doesn't actually want to be prime minister.

I thought Blanchet was bold but he seems like a bit of an a**hole. I remember from past debates, liking Duceppe better.

It went right over heads (particularly Trudeau's - who came across like an entitled twerp - I saw that pre-2015, then I gave him a chance to lead and now I see it more than ever...yet I'd still rather see him win than Scheer) that by asking Quebecers to vote for him, that Singh is embodying opposition to Bill 21. Trudeau's talking point to Singh, on that - and the op-eds asking why he isn't challenging the bill openly - missed the obvious.

Last edited:
The whole thing makes me sad

I would love a new rule to be on our ballots. “Do you wish to create a law that states politicians must answer the question they are asked”

And honestly what a stupid format. Who thought of that

Column today said we should have topic debates and local debates weekly during the campaign. Leaders don’t want it. They don’t want to be put on the spot.

But how about a BC debate. A Nunavut debate. An east coast debate. Foreign affairs debate. A rural prairie debate. A rural ontario debate........

And let’s debate. Question. Then each leader answers. Then each leader has opportunity to challenge.....moderator stops them if they are not answering the question. Honestly did none of these people debate in high school?

And I really wonder at letting greens , Bernier and the bloc into a “national “ debate. Bloc only runs in Quebec so not at all national

Greens have one seat. After all these years that is all they have. How about being in the debate requires official party status. Or something.

Bernier got in with the “possible” election if Renata Ford in Etobicoke. Widow of our infamous ex mayor.

And sadly she may. It seems anyone named ford gets elected in Etobicoke north

End of rant. I am obviously fed up

Greens have one seat. After all these years that is all they have. How about being in the debate requires official party status. Or something.

The Greens have two seats. Elizabeth May and Paul Manly who is Nanaimo.

I like your idea of regional debates. Alternatively, there should be debates on specific topics. The rule that they answer the question needs to be applied. Also, they must answer the question without invoking the name of their opponent.

I would like to see just info sessions - Q&As. No debating.
Wish local candidates would do something similar - session or debate. University ridings tend to have that.
Everything I see from the Liberal candidate makes him look disinterested, would be interesting to see if he comes across the same way with something live put out by others.

They are politicians. They will never answer a question directly. Even Jahmeed Sing didn’t say he would fight the bill in Quebec if he were PM ( which, surprisingly, Trudeau clearly said he would- from what I saw, that was Trudeaus only straightforward announcement.

Back