Canada Votes, 2019

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Info is like sacred intelligence ... in a domain where intellect is denied and put down as bad NU's ... is that evil of nous? Nein!

Maybe the origin of nous antes ... that shape-shifted into nuisance 've political correctness when politicians are usually wrong when stating they are doing something out of ethical pragmatics ... when actually they are self preserving in a hostile situation!

Look at poor Trump up against a hostile house! How did he get that pragmatic condition? Political dis ease ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I really liked the format of our debate. Six questions pre-provided to the candidates. 180 seconds max reponse from each. Each candidate received two "rebuttal cards" that they could hand in to acquire a 1 min rebuttal period to a specific debater. Time for opening and closing remarks. Three-four reasonably good audience generated questions (pre-selected for clarity, etc. by a quick team) just before the closing remarks.

Nancy

Reaction score
I'm working at the election, which means I have to vote in the advance poll. I am still pretty torn...Do I vote for the most ethical/honest leader? Or the one who will prevent a certain (expletive) from getting in? Locally, the current MP is well-liked. I might just go that route. As for the debate, I was impressed with both May and Singh. The media, right after the debate, pretty well ignored Elizabeth May. But on a radio talk show the next day, many callers spoke highly of her.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
The media, right after the debate, pretty well ignored Elizabeth May.
s**t, I swear this is one of those invisible woman things. *Wyrd aside* I am a small person who has chosen to leave her hair un-cut (although I now never leave it loose). It's very long, very curly, and for some reason, I have no visible grey hair (natural colour is a strawberry blondish mess). Wanna see some cognitive dissonance? Witness a person, usually male, approaching from behind, who is latterly confronted with an appropriately aged face. It's pretty funny.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
She was at least as articulate as Jagmeet, way better than Scheer or Bernier. Justin's just a bit "lodged"...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Yet there are powerful people that will not admit to being stoic and ... well, stuck in the dirt of their own making!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
At least someone has a sense of humour about this election. A Western prof in my riding has put up mock election signs featuring Harry Potter characters as candidates. I think I'd vote for Hermione myself.

Reaction score
I was just out for a family dinner and we started discussing politics and my parents' "Canadian Values" and it got a little heated. I was the most "left" of 4 of us. 2 are very right wing. One family member leans right and he didn't used to. The waitress said she hesitated to come near our table when she heard we were discussing politics. Yikes.

Well we left on a positive note. "It's just politics" ... :confused: Still, not feeling very good about it. And it wasn't even me who got riled up. I was being talked over rather aggressively. Just feeling a bit rattled after the fact.

Seeler

Reaction score
Voted on Friday. Right up to the end I was undecided, except I knew that I was ABC. Then on Friday I read a poll showing three candidates running neck to neck, and life and that my representative of my favourite party was far behind in fourth position. I wasn't surprised. It seemed that party realized early that they didn't have that much chance to win this riding so they put their money and efforts elsewhere.
So I looked at the other three. ABC – would they split the vote and slip in ahead of the other two? So I turned my back on my traditional party and voted for the one that had the best chance of ABC.
I don't like the idea of strategic voting, but in the selection it did seem to be my best choice.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
We do not need this in our campaigns. Hope it turns about to be a hoax or bad Intel rather than a real threat but even so, disrupting an election with a hoax or "joke" like this would be bad enough. And I commend Trudeau for going ahead with the event and the opposition leaders for supporting him.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Yet, brutal powers are supported by the front men ... not necessarily the politicians ... but perhaps the industrial sorts maintaining control! It is deep and complex set of MS Truths ... dark essences!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Looking at both of the poll aggregators (CBC's Poll Tracker and 338Canada) and it still looks like anybody's ballgame, with both sites giving the LPC and the CPC more or less even odds on getting the most seats, but the LPC with somewhat better (but still pretty slim) odds of a majority. So, a minority government looks likely but it's still an open question as to who will form it. Singh is talking coalition to keep the Conservatives out of power but how that would work out given some of the differences between the NDP and Liberals (the party they would likely be propping up) would be a question in and of itself.

Graeme Decarie

Reaction score
The great disappointment of this election is not the politicians. It's the Canadian people. The majority of them, by far, are going to vote for one of the two parties that has a record for doing nothing. We face a tremendous problem in climate change. The Conservatives, Liberals and BQ have a long record of doing nothing. And Canadian voters don't seem to notice.

There is also a massive shift of wealth from the majority to a very tiny group of billionaires. That, very soon, is going to create some pretty big problems. And while governments cut budgets for schools and, especially, for universities, while we do nothing about the homeless, we allow the very rich to escape billions of dollars in income tax along - and that's not counting our many, many gifts to the very, very rich.

We're heading into massive migrations from all over the world to escape hunger (as a result of climate change and soil destruction), constant war (to please the greed of the very rich. (The U.S., in particular, is far the world leader in the murder of children since 1945. We call our enemies terrorists. The reality is that ALL soldiers, including the ones who march with medals flashing, are terrorists. The murders of women and children as primary targets began, probably, with Winston Churchill's order in 1920 for the RAF to bomb ONLY those villages and towns that had no military defence. Hitler picked that idea up for the bombing of Guernica in Spain. Then our side adopted it for the bombing of Dresden in WW2.
Since then, the killing of children and women as the major targets of bombing has been standard for the U.S. (Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not military targets. Both were massively civilian. That's why there were chosen. In Korea, we set records for killing children and other civilians. Ditto in Vietnam. Oh, and ditto in Iraq.)

Almost certainly, we have very little time to save our planet. And we're doing nothing. And in this election, the Canadian people are showing they are so thick they don't care.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
The great disappointment of this election is not the politicians. It's the Canadian people. The majority of them, by far, are going to vote for one of the two parties that has a record for doing nothing. We face a tremendous problem in climate change. The Conservatives, Liberals and BQ have a long record of doing nothing. And Canadian voters don't seem to notice.

There is also a massive shift of wealth from the majority to a very tiny group of billionaires. That, very soon, is going to create some pretty big problems. And while governments cut budgets for schools and, especially, for universities, while we do nothing about the homeless, we allow the very rich to escape billions of dollars in income tax along - and that's not counting our many, many gifts to the very, very rich.

We're heading into massive migrations from all over the world to escape hunger (as a result of climate change and soil destruction), constant war (to please the greed of the very rich. (The U.S., in particular, is far the world leader in the murder of children since 1945. We call our enemies terrorists. The reality is that ALL soldiers, including the ones who march with medals flashing, are terrorists. The murders of women and children as primary targets began, probably, with Winston Churchill's order in 1920 for the RAF to bomb ONLY those villages and towns that had no military defence. Hitler picked that idea up for the bombing of Guernica in Spain. Then our side adopted it for the bombing of Dresden in WW2.
Since then, the killing of children and women as the major targets of bombing has been standard for the U.S. (Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not military targets. Both were massively civilian. That's why there were chosen. In Korea, we set records for killing children and other civilians. Ditto in Vietnam. Oh, and ditto in Iraq.)

Almost certainly, we have very little time to save our planet. And we're doing nothing. And in this election, the Canadian people are showing they are so thick they don't care.
Do you get the idea we are in a senseless place? here appears to be no thoughts to correct the loss!

My grandfather always said love was like nothing ... and people in great love acted like they had not a thought! Does that appear to apply to politicians and all powerful people?

Be cautious of the little people ...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
If a person had a wee hollow in the heart ... would that cause trouble in warring folks?

Such is Eris rising in nothing as if it was something ... a bit of an Eire! Sometimes this can appear as haute stuff!

Nancy

Reaction score
Well, I voted yesterday, because I work at the election next week, so wouldn't be able to go to my poll. I was counting on Vote Compass to help me decide between my two choices. The results? A dead tie between my two choices. Alas. I had to rely on my own brain.
Election talk does make people uncomfortable. I did a church service on Sunday and, during the children's story called "Perspectives", I talked about the Christian perspective of Thanksgiving. Then I said to the adults that we also have a Christian perspective when voting, and that we look to honest, accountable politicians, focused on an end goal. I mentioned that poverty is sometimes not brought up as an issue because often the poor are considered to be non voters (quoted Michael Enright). Therefore it is up to us to look to candidates who will represent the goals and interests that concern us as Christians. One person walked out, and when she walked in again at the end of the service, she made a point to glare at me and then storm past me. I guess I upset her perspective! I read "The Time is Now" this summer, and have decided that religion and politics cannot be two separate forces that work against each other. It comes out in my messages.