Can we know God? What can we know?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

If God does not cause pain, what does? How? I do not believe in Hell but wonder how, if there is a Hell, and God does not cause suffering, why or how or who would someone be sent to Hell to be punished?
Have you read C.S.Lewis' "The Problem of Pain"?

If so, what did you think of it?

Just a nudge, folks, but the Problem of Pain/Suffering is probably a whole thread unto itself, not really the subject of this one. I know this sounds like gatekeeping, but it's actually good forum practice. Putting a big topic in its own thread means the discussion does not get buried under other topics, which tends to happen here a lot.

Have you read C.S.Lewis' "The Problem of Pain"?
Check out our old study group on Tom Oord's "God Can't" for a postmodern look at the question of God's role vis a vis suffering. It's a good book and one of the better intros to process theology that I have come across in that it is actually readable without a doctorate.

If God does not cause pain, what does?
God comforts our pain --God doesn't cause our pain but He allows us to feel pain and suffering -----Paul had a Thorn in his side ---caused by Satan -------God allowed this to keep Paul from becoming conceited as he was given knowledge of the Kingdom -----and increased knowledge can puff one's ego up ----

God allowed Satan to inflict Job with pain to show Job's faithfulness ---

Greek word for pain
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 3601 odýnē – intense emotional pain (personal anguish); consuming grief, which is emotionally lethal if experienced apart from God's grace which comforts

God allows evil that leads to pain and suffering
, but he is not the source of evil. It's important to make this distinction. God created humans and the earth to be perfect and to live in perfect relationship with each other and with God.

I do not believe in Hell
Just because one does not believe in Hell does not mean that it does not exist -----

if there is a Hell, and God does not cause suffering, why or how or who would someone be sent to Hell to be punished?

We send our selves to Hell by Rejecting Jesus as our Lord and Saviour who paid the price for our sins -------if you reject Jesus the Son then you have rejected God the Father and God the Holy Spirit and your SOL for Heaven ------your a Spirit being and Spirits don't die jimkenny12 -your Spirit and soul leave your body and end up somewhere -----hell or heaven ---this is all according to Scripture -----

you certainly don't have to believe that but that is what the Scripture says ----

So I ask ------------- if one rejects God the Son as their Lord and Saviour ---

Why should they expect to get into Heaven ???????----

Why would anyone send themselves to Hell? What is the process that takes people to hell if they do not make the right decision?

The kingdom of God is not equivalent to life after death heaven and hell is not mentioned. What is the mechanism for placing people in hell,?

I suppose you could take that many ways, such as being informed so you know what to envision
Well I suppose you could take that in many ways ----but ------

Jesus says ----He is the Way --the Truth and the Life and no one comes to the Father except through Him ------so the Father is in Heaven and so is Jesus ------so if you reject who Jesus is that He is God and you reject what He accomplished on the Cross -----then I don't know how you can get to the Father in heaven as you must go through Jesus to get to the Father -----and many reject that Jesus is Lord and His blood was shed to deal with our sin ------Many believe that Jesus was just a prophet --and was not the Messiah that came to save people -----

And if you reject Jesus who is God the Son ---then you have rejected the God the Father also as the 2 are one ------Jesus plainly says I and the Father are One ----and if you Reject the 2 then you also reject the Holy Spirit as there is 3 persons in ONE GOD -

And if we choose to reject who Jesus was and is still ---and what He has done for us -then Why Should we think we should get into heaven ---

it boggles my mind that people think they can just live a life of sin and disobedience to God and His Word ---and God is suppose to just accept our distrust and disobedience and welcome us with open arms ------ what kind of a parent is that ----not a good one I say ---

this word through used in John 14:6

No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Strong's Concordance
dia: through, on account of, because of
through,, by the instrumentality of, (b) acc: through, on account of, by reason of, for the sake of, because of.

Jesus is the bridge to the Father ----
thoroughly," literally, "successfully" across to the other side).

Excellent picture ------Jesus in the shape of the Cross here -----------without Jesus as your bridge to heaven ------your SOL to stay in the light -----
Jesus is the bridge to the Father ----
thoroughly," literally, "successfully" across to the other side).

2 sides ---the World's way or The Way of Jesus --you choose

If God can dull all pain ... does this make dense, the sense to learn and thus the old sages declared learning a pain ... sobeit!

The the Origin of Satan (Pagels) fills in some gaps ... a kind or repagination? One has to read into that severely also ... those that would rather not think (mental process) will eliminate that step!

There was an interesting article on the news yesterday (CTV) about a teacher who noted not only degradation of reading ability but also perception, understanding and grasp of complex words! Deep words are cause of severe insecurities and collapse of industrial socializations ... a civil disorder!

Thus the need of beam Eire and Rais 'd essences ... some unseen and thus darker --- Len Cohen on Sues ... d' essence being sometime dissonant, or Eris?

Vague dervishes ... as the vagal nerve cuts in ... it is parallel to the tri gem in all ... that misfunctions and disrupts emotions, intellect, genes and ephedrine of many varieties ...

Endogenous etudes are difficult when immersed in the topic ... even the labels cause chaos ... large words can be a teaser ... diabolical sorting!

Last edited:
Well it's not my Christology/theology, it is a very good illustration of a particular view of Christ's role, eh.

Light does span between many dark bodies ... albeit mostly unseen because of the small visible sliver of radiation ... just a few nanoM in a great band!

I always combine this with the words attributed to him about having other sheepfolds. If Christ is from the beginning, then Buddhism and othr older religions might be part of the other sheepfolds

If God is the Book and the Book covers all potentials ... take a wild guess that is not literal as God may be outside the literalisms ...

Us and them arise as confounded parts that cannot reason ... from either side the other is "them"! Diabolical eh?

ONE should touch on the concept of Kabbalah ... as an extensive outlander ... Sheryl outlandish!

Sheryl meaning something other than you might believe ... as beloved differences!

Interesting Read ----

View attachment 8678

Not really very interesting at all. It starts with a false thesis, " Since all the world religions are different from one another and contradict one another, it is not possible that they all came from God", then follows that down the rabbit hole.

You could take from that, "Since all the denominations within Christianity are different from one another and contradict one another, it is not possible that they all came from God", at which point you have landed at that point of silent confusion that God does not sow, in the Gospel according to Unsafe, who is always right of course.

Since all the denominations within Christianity are different from one another and contradict one another, it is not possible that they all came from God
Which is exactly what unsafe says time and again. Christianity as an organized religion is not of God, only what is written in The Bible. Seems a fair belief myself as long as she is consistent in it.

Back