camping meals?????

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
I wanted to post a light topic for discussion this morning - so I'm asking -
"If you go camping, what meals do you tend to prepare?
Are they the 'traditional' hot dogs, smokies and fire baked potatoes?
Do you make bannock?
Stew with dumplings?
Eggs and bacon?

Reactions: Jae

Jae

Reaction score
Fun question Kay. We need some light discussion here, so thank you :)

With my family, we eat some traditional fare (bacon & eggs, s'mores, hotdogs on a stick, pancakes, barbequed meats, corn on the cob...). We also eat some Korean foods (bulgogi, kalbi, noodles...). Last time we even brought along our family's electric rice cooker.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
We , at one time owned a small sail boat ... 25 footer ... not much room, small ice box, a challenge to take things to make interesting meals.

Some people were surprised when the frozen hunk of beef came out to be roasted in a pressure cooker to supply a grand meal with gravy and left overs for the next day or so for sandwiches, etc. Frozen beef is interesting replacement for ice packs ...

Can of cream soup and clams and a few potatoes (store fairly well even on a hot boat on the water) make an excellent chowder ... if the mackerel are running ... imagine the fresh feasts ...

Some people do not believe in imagination ... they've never abs tracked ... a gutte stretch?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Real campers pack a gun along and eat fresh roasted venison every night...

:whistle:

NOT! :D

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
YES - bannock was a big favourite of our family on canoe trips!

And 'buns on a stick' when travel camping - unroll a pkg of Pillsbury crescent rolls - cut them a bit smaller & wrap around a stick - like a hot dog cooking stick. Toast them to golden brown & puffy over the fire ... then slip them off the stick - careful not to burn your fingers! - let a dab of butter & some jam run down into the hollow centre ... mmmmmmm ... I can taste it now!!

Reaction score
It's been a long time...as a kid it was usually just hotdogs roasted over a fire pit, sandwiches, roasted marshmallows, and jiffy pop popcorn. And cereal. And we'd bring some fruit along too. I can't remember what else but that was camping food. But once as a younger adult I camped with a friend who's an expert camper, and she sliced up apples, potatoes, carrots, onions, and some salt and pepper, wrapped in aluminum foil, and cooked that over the fire, and it was delicious. The apples, I would never have thought of.

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
When I was first met my future husband, we both were camping in a campground. He asked what I was having for breakfast, and invited me over. He proceeded to cook steak and eggs for breakfast, had a percolator going for coffee, and had fresh fruit. The rest is history.

He has always shown me what you can do for camp food. For years, we made our own dried fruit and vegetables, and mixed up recipes to take long before we could buy them anywhere, and to be honest, a lot cheaper than you can buy them. We had a great cookbook, probably still do somewhere. Our kids learned that backwards meals were fine, but, we ate healthy when away. We also knew how to make a cake on the campfire.

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
oooh, and we would start with the meat we took, then the frozen meat, then canned or dried meat.
Ditto with fruits, veggies. ....we would work through items based on how long they would last. menus were set within reason to adjust for weather conditions.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Yes Kimmio - definitely Jiffy Pop!! Such a miraculous thing that seemed to us kids!

Reaction score
When I was first met my future husband, we both were camping in a campground. He asked what I was having for breakfast, and invited me over. He proceeded to cook steak and eggs for breakfast, had a percolator going for coffee, and had fresh fruit. The rest is history.

He has always shown me what you can do for camp food. For years, we made our own dried fruit and vegetables, and mixed up recipes to take long before we could buy them anywhere, and to be honest, a lot cheaper than you can buy them. We had a great cookbook, probably still do somewhere. Our kids learned that backwards meals were fine, but, we ate healthy when away. We also knew how to make a cake on the campfire.
Oh, yeah, trail mix. dried fruit and nuts. My mom used to make it, too! You couldn't buy it at any grocery store. I've never had dried veggies, I don't think.

Jae

Reaction score
And 'buns on a stick' when travel camping - unroll a pkg of Pillsbury crescent rolls - cut them a bit smaller & wrap around a stick - like a hot dog cooking stick. Toast them to golden brown & puffy over the fire ... then slip them off the stick - careful not to burn your fingers! - let a dab of butter & some jam run down into the hollow centre ... mmmmmmm ... I can taste it now!!
Sounds delicious. Tried it the last time my family and I went camping. Each time I put it on the stick, the dough fell into the fire.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Lots of different ways of preparing meals! Although for many years our camping was very basic, I really like having the added options that come from a propane stove and grill. Actually, as we aged tenting became problematic and we graduated to a wee trailer - luxury really - it has a tiny fridge and a furnace.

Next time we go camping one meal will be a rack of ribs done on the grill, it is waiting in the freezer. I'm also going to try making some egg muffins with cut up meat and veggies in them. (Seems you just put suitable ingredients in a muffin tin and pop them on the grill until done.) The grands like making bannock to cook on a stick - I've never bought the Pillsbury stuff - mainly because I avoid ready made food. I bet it tastes good though. Mustn't forget the pancakes or the potatoes baked until the skins are crispy. Popcorn and marshmallows too, of course. Oh - before I stop - I have to mention bushpies. My personal favourite is pizza pie!!

Jae

Reaction score
Another thing we had last time we camped was fried beef & kimchi over rice :)

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
you can make egg muffins in advance, kaythecurler, and just pack them. They refrigerate well, and you can just warm them. CAUTION: they stick terribly in muffin pans. (or can)

Jae

Reaction score
you can make egg muffins in advance, kaythecurler, and just pack them. They refrigerate well, and you can just warm them. CAUTION: they stick terribly in muffin pans. (or can)
On one camping trip, we used English Muffins for Egg O'Muffins one breakfast, hotdog buns at dinner, and garlic bread at supper.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Pinga - you are awesomely filled with information! Do those egg muffins stick even if you use non-stick tins to bake them? I thought of cooking them at home - but it is easier for to transport the ingredients than the finished products. Another factor is - the making of them :)at camp will keep the grands happy and busy for a while.

Jae

Reaction score
Pinga - you are awesomely filled with information! Do those egg muffins stick even if you use non-stick tins to bake them? I thought of cooking them at home - but it is easier for to transport the ingredients than the finished products. Another factor is - the making of them :)at camp will keep the grands happy and busy for a while.
They'd go soggy if they're transported. Better to make them up fresh at the campsite.

Reaction score
Haven't been camping for a long time, but we have a food list in the camping gear. We make and freeze in square containers things like Chili, Pasta sauce, Baked beans, and these go in cooler in place of a block of ice. We sometimes do tacos or burritos. Always perc coffee. Red wine. We have campfire panini presses. you can cook things like bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, omlettes, french toast. I made french toast with a layer of nutella in the middle for breakfast one time, It was good, but more like dessert than a meal. The more you can prepare and freeze at home, the less dishes to wash at the campsite.

Waterfall

Reaction score
Mostly camp food when we took the kids camping in our tent trailor when they were younger. Hamburgers, hotdogs, smores, etc....Used to pack the food but switched to shopping at the nearest grocery store just before we hit the campsite and I would only pack the essentials like mustard, ketchup, etc...

I recall someone showing us how to soak the corn on the cob all day in the husks and you could throw it on the fire/grill and it wasn't supposed to burn. Tried it, not bad.