Big kids - big worries

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

KayTheCurler

My daughter phoned to tell me she leaves on Sunday for Florida to join the cruise ship she had to leave earlier in the Covid situation. It sounds pretty foolhardy to me - but I accept it is HER decision. She pointed out that indeed there is a risk involved, but that she could stay close to home and get the same virus. The infection control issues for cruises are still being worked out and CDC is actively involved. Apparently she starts with a 14 day quarantine, probably in a hotel. What the arrangements are after that seems to be a bit of a mystery. Being a parent was a bit simpler back when the kids were small!

Hadn't even realized CDC had opened the door for cruises out of the US yet. If they are quarantining people pre-boarding, that is probably a good start but you're still not going to get me on a cruise ship any time soon.

And, yeah, we question some of Little M's decisions but, in the end, there has to come a point where it is their life to live and their hill to die on. Overall, he's been better behaved than a lot of his generation in this so it's hard to complain too much.

My daughter phoned to tell me she leaves on Sunday for Florida to join the cruise ship she had to leave earlier in the Covid situation. It sounds pretty foolhardy to me - but I accept it is HER decision. She pointed out that indeed there is a risk involved, but that she could stay close to home and get the same virus. The infection control issues for cruises are still being worked out and CDC is actively involved. Apparently she starts with a 14 day quarantine, probably in a hotel. What the arrangements are after that seems to be a bit of a mystery. Being a parent was a bit simpler back when the kids were small!
I hear you, hang in there......and pray alot.

As it stands, the No Sail order is still in effect until October 31 but if she is going to be quarantined for 14 days then that puts us to that date. There is no guarantee that CDC won't extend it again. They have done so multiple times over the pandemic period.

OTOH, the fact that they only extended it for a month this time may be a sign they are ready to ease off.

Oh gosh - sorry to hear that Kay - I can appreciate your worries. I would also wonder if there might be any concerns about her ability to re-enter Canada, having left voluntarily and for questionable 'essential' travel.

Personally, I've never had interest in going on a cruise - and even less so now. Heck, I'm not even going to restaurants to eat!

You guys came up with things I have wondered about too (So has my daughter). It is nice knowing that other people 'get it'. My girl is way past the kid stage - she is 45 with grown kids of her own.
The ship is stuck in the 'fitting out' stage as it is brand new and hasn't yet done an actual cruise. She was built in France, has done the necessary sea trials and is expecting to pick up extra staff in Florida. I think the ship owners are sending up a trial balloon basically. Needless to say I hope they keep everyone safe. The logistics must be mind boggling. How do you provision safely? How can you take on passengers who may be carrying the virus? How does everyone get home if the trial is a failure?
I'm trying to look at it as a reason to practice 'resting in the not knowing'.

Back