Basic Income ... Good? Bad? Ugly?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Somewhere I saw an article making the point that the CERB and whatever other money lately during Covid made the point that a lot of people would rather not work and get a basic income than work minimum wage jobs, as we can see presently by the large amount of jobs available. ( and by the fact that our agriculture is depending on foreign workers). Those are hard jobs to work. What would wages have to be to make them attractive to Canadians?

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
UBI, properly done, would complement any earnings a person may make. CERB rules penalized people for working.
But why would you work if you can live for free? I remember there used to be a tv show called” dirty jobs”. They showed jobs that were dealing with “ dirty stuff” and often under really uncomfortable conditions, like having to crawl into a tight space to clean something very stinky. I remember noticing that the worker they interviewed often seem to be proud of what they do, sometimes it sounded like they had a passion for it. You kind of had to have a passion in order to do it. I wonder, it people just get paid to do nothing if there is even a chance people would try out difficult jobs, because they don’t have to?

jimkenney12

If UBI is $300/week, it would only be enough for a minimal life style:. Shelter, food, public transportation, basic clothing, basic cell phone. Most people want more than that. $300/week would be less than minimum wage at over 25 hours per week.

Luce NDs

Why would someone do a bottom job when one could be a high paid administrator and not really have any experience on the dirt of life.

The consequence is that life gets dirtier and dirtier and the administration doesn't know why ... obviously something was lost in the cloud and mist!

Remember as one who doesn't know you may stick out as a target ... and the great mother of all will get yah ... tis a dark process, some say dippy ...