Backyard wildlife

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
We also have wild turkeys! Yup - urban pair that hold up traffic sometimes. Those things are BIG! And they occasionally chase people ...
I get them in my neighborhood occasionally. Once turned the corner off my street to find like three of them on the front lawn of the corner house.

And once had one in the backyard on April Fools Day. The only other person up was a buddy of Little M who was sleeping over. I took a picture because I figured otherwise Mrs. M and Little M wouldn't believe us given the day.

I just don't think of turkeys being hostile, but I can see how they might be aggressive. If they were chasing me, it would scare the living s**t out of me.
Well, I've only really been metaphorically cased by turkeys. I've been chased by a few Mother Geese, and a male Swan or two, who wanted to let me know they're in charge, it's their turf. But they didn't even chase me, they just charged at me when I wasn't even looking their way. A couple of peacocks have stared me down I'm sure. That could be real and metaphor.

Last edited:

KayTheCurler

We enjoyed a 'first' today. A wee downy woodpecker spent time eating the fat I put out weeks ago. Maybe now the other birds will start eating fat too?

Luce NDs

We see lots of crows, and I didn't think I'd seen a raven down here, but bird-watching neighbour is pretty sure we have one nesting pair (they're bigger, don't hang out in murders, but solo or mated pair, and they don't "caw") in a large oak around the corner from us.

I love magpies, and just miss them here. They are my favorite birds, in a nuisance-y, cheeky way.

That's a stinking habit to cultivate! Maybe the hound believes he is a politician and is above that sort of thing ... ethereal height are said to dumb the senses! The chitty perpetuates with a bang ... cynicism has the same reputation with the high and mighty!

Lastpointe

I get a lot of woodpeckers. Suet feeders really attract them as well as sunflower seeds. Mine love to sit in cedar trees and look for bugs. They are so beautiful. The bigger Hairy woodpecker is lovely and the really big Piliated woodpecker is wild

KayTheCurler

I get a lot of woodpeckers. Suet feeders really attract them as well as sunflower seeds. Mine love to sit in cedar trees and look for bugs. They are so beautiful. The bigger Hairy woodpecker is lovely and the really big Piliated woodpecker is wild
We have seen all three of those woodpeckers in the yard. Also lots of other birds that supposedly enjoy suet. Not sure why they don't gobble our supply up. They pick bugs off the pine tree and eat the sunflower seeds - just not the suet.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
We enjoyed a 'first' today. A wee downy woodpecker spent time eating the fat I put out weeks ago. Maybe now the other birds will start eating fat too?
I guess I better put out my suet feeder, and the sunflower seeds too .... tomorrow! It's dark now & we got a bit of snow & rain today.

Luce NDs

Woodpeckers do not bode well for wooden botes as Das the thing that floats off ... not biden well ... at least in the latent POTUS' psyche that could be dysfunctional ... is that the thing?

Dennett might say it is delusional ... part of the dark abstract ... Black Forest bird?

So cute Kimmio. Keep away from those antlers!
They are so tame here! I wouldn't go right up to one. I was about 15-20 feet away, maybe. But I was stopped for a good few minutes trying to get the best angle for a photo - my scooter lights were on, and they weren't concerned about me. They were like, "Ho hum. I think we'll have a little rest right out in the open." The one in the back isn't very visible though.

Lastpointe

I expect it was the scooter. In our woods the deer run if they see us. But if I am driving the tractor i can drive up pretty close before they just wander away. Don’t seem to worry about vehicles. At least ours don’t

but yes, don’t go up to them. Big animal will take you down and stomp on you with very sharp feet

Ritafee

Being Human
I have a pile of mulched leaves and grass in my yard ... it was about 6 feet tall by 10 feet long by 6 feet wide ... but now a group of 30 some wild turkeys have decided to spread it out ... crazy to watch them gather there at least once a day ... with the sole purpose of taking down the birm that I had hoped to plant cucumbers on in the spring. Oh well ... perhaps they are preparing something good naturally ... better than when they all huddle around my bird feeders. Quite entertaining!

I expect it was the scooter. In our woods the deer run if they see us. But if I am driving the tractor i can drive up pretty close before they just wander away. Don’t seem to worry about vehicles. At least ours don’t

but yes, don’t go up to them. Big animal will take you down and stomp on you with very sharp feet
They were already lying down before I pulled up. That's why I stopped. I've seen lots of deer but they're always in motion, eating leaves or something - or leading their younger ones around. A car slowed down to look at them too. I think they've just become "domesticated" here and in surrounding neighbourhoods. They know they're pretty safe, except for when they cross busy streets.

Last edited:
I have a pile of mulched leaves and grass in my yard ... it was about 6 feet tall by 10 feet long by 6 feet wide ... but now a group of 30 some wild turkeys have decided to spread it out ... crazy to watch them gather there at least once a day ... with the sole purpose of taking down the birm that I had hoped to plant cucumbers on in the spring. Oh well ... perhaps they are preparing something good naturally ... better than when they all huddle around my bird feeders. Quite entertaining!
I've never seen real wild turkeys in person before.