Alcohol in Ontario

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
So the LCBO workers really did go on strike. Does this mean the province is dry? Hell, no. Right now you can:
  • Buy beer at the Beer Store and hundreds of licensed grocery stores
  • Buy wine at specialty shops and a couple hundred licensed groceries
  • Order from the LCBO online since the strike has only closed the stores
  • Buy various products from online and brick and mortar shops owned by craft brewers, distillers, etc.
  • Go to Quebec or your nearest US state (though the latter will have customs issues)
  • And more
So does this strike even matter? Does the LCBO even matter anymore? That's kind of the question (and answer) Chris Selley looks at in this column from the Post. What say you?

For the record, I've been sour on the LCBO and Beer Store for a long time. Monopolies are bad. Government-enforced ones worse. If the government needs to generate revenue from booze, they can use sin taxes.

I agree with their core issue. I didn't love the idea of beer and wine in grocery stores, but I like the idea of hard liquor much less. And I don't use the convenience. I have LCBO outlets and The Beer Store handy to me. I shop there. If they are closed when I need alcohol, I should have planned better.

However, I remain confused about the structure of the strike. How/why would a union mandate a minimum length for a strike? I have been a union person my whole life, and a strike is supposed to bring management back to the table fast so that we all stop losing money?

Ontario should follow the Alberta model. Privatize everything. No strikes. More selection. Better hours. Stuff goes on sale. Competition is great. Sink or swim.

For the record, I've been sour on the LCBO and Beer Store for a long time. Monopolies are bad. Government-enforced ones worse. If the government needs to generate revenue from booze, they can use sin taxes.

Privatized monopolies are improved chimera ... still vast anima ... and it can swallow yah ole ...

I agree with their core issue. I didn't love the idea of beer and wine in grocery stores, but I like the idea of hard liquor much less. And I don't use the convenience. I have LCBO outlets and The Beer Store handy to me. I shop there. If they are closed when I need alcohol, I should have planned better.

However, I remain confused about the structure of the strike. How/why would a union mandate a minimum length for a strike? I have been a union person my whole life, and a strike is supposed to bring management back to the table fast so that we all stop losing money?

Planning and plotting is similar to conspiring and conspiratorial efforts ... not spontaneous like some political he don ist!

Face it humans are imperfect and must be improved ... but we are resistant to change cause it resembles learning and knowledge ... unspeakable!

However never say never ... it could turn out like the SCOTUS decision to allow the PREZ to obliviate the competition ... and we need more of that ... even tho' elected! Some declare they would never have elected the man and so on one power the entire system must be negated ... forever!

Is that close to "not ever"? Thus producing a minor thought about elimination ... in the manor! Shell companies???? Protected by thick Wahls ... and fiery tongues ... then the silence intervenes ... the stroll of Daedalus ... crafty as they departed ... soul and spirit as they couldn't stand moralizations any further ...

Thus ET is up there ... like a tree baron fruit ... ye apps? Bark on the wrong tree? What would we know ... whatever it diminishes ... like a shot or shout in the dark ...

Last edited:
In Ontario, by contrast, OCS is mostly a wholesaler. It buys products from producers across the country and resells them to more than 1,700 private sector stores around the province. OCS owns no physical stores itself, but gets 97 per cent of its revenue through its sales to these stores. It also sells some cannabis directly to consumers via its retail web site but that accounts for only three per cent of its revenue.

But even without stores, the OCS was the country’s highest-earning cannabis agency.

BC seems to have a model between Alberta's and Ontario. There's still BC Liquor stores that are similar to LCBO stores. There are also stores similar to what you see in AB. They only sell alcohol related products. I believe they are still somehow accountable to the government stores. BC was very similar to Ontario when we moved here in 1999. It has relaxed over the years. As Gord said, there are alcohol stores on just about every corner in some parts of AB. That's a little excessive.

I don't like the idea of selling alcohol in corner or grocery stores, though I've seen it in California and it seemed okay.

There are many models for selling alcohol. It doesn't have to just be government stores vs corner stores.

Hmm, that's interesting....do you know why that happened?
Alberta made up for losing the retail revenue with higher sin taxes, maybe? Though they are the ones who always boast about their low taxes, esp. the lack of a sales tax.

The costs for rent, advertising, and operating loans along with higher admin costs in terms of margin and probably lower ratio of sales to shelf space probably contributed to the higher prices.

Last edited:
Alberta made up for losing the retail revenue with higher sin taxes, maybe? Though they are the ones who always boast about their low taxes, esp. the lack of a sales tax.
Maybe, I was wondering if it was a case of greed when people gain more control of something that can become addictive.

The ALCB is still the wholesaler for alcoholic beverages in Alberta. They may have adjusted the wholesale prices to compensate for what they lost through their stores or their stores may have been revenue neutral with the markup matching their costs of operating the stores.

One outcome is a lot more real estate is tied up in selling alcohol and more people employed but at lower wages.

I am very much in support of LCBO.

I had wished they had cannabis license.

Prices are decent due to volume purchases.

Monitoring of underage sales is significantly less than if was sold in corner stores

Yes, if we're talking about cannabis, that's a complete clusterfuck. Grey markets are still very evident, but the competition in the legal market is HUGE, and we now have a native store in B, selling at decent prices, no sales tax, and gummies that are much more potent than allowed in the legal market. The pot market these days is a VERY funny place, with more players than you can imagine. My daughter works for a company that pairs insurance companies, medicinal cannabis and Canadian Forces vets with PTSD...

Yes, if we're talking about cannabis, that's a complete clusterfuck. Grey markets are still very evident, but the competition in the legal market is HUGE, and we now have a native store in B, selling at decent prices, no sales tax, and gummies that are much more potent than allowed in the legal market. The pot market these days is a VERY funny place, with more players than you can imagine. My daughter works for a company that pairs insurance companies, medicinal cannabis and Canadian Forces vets with PTSD...

Then we encounter that enigma that claims PTSD is non existent as it is simply something in the mine 'ole ... a grand void! Mindless compilations ...

Back