Acronyms, Colloquial Phrases / Idioms, imagery, terms

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Some things are likely common, like I'll meet you in the narthex

Why can't we just say entrance

Some things are likely common, like I'll meet you in the narthex

Why can't we just say entrance

It may sound like there is a' narđ đuiđ? Then the fat chewing is initiated ... just to pass time as there is nothing out there to do unless it sinks in ...

Thus fatty acids ... root of nucleic acids as it stacks up in chaos ... and mortal humans can not be reasoned with ... that has been observed science in perception!

For my family church the "narthex" often referred to the entire area behind the sanctuary (there was a wall of windows separating them) including coatroom but mostly referred to the "lobby" between the coatroom and sanctuary with two entrances in it. So not sure there was a better word. "Lobby" I guess.

I have always known the narthex to be the area before one enters the sanctuary. It could be called a lobby in most cases. But I know one church where it is really more of a hallway.

A few years ago I learned that the chancel is the area at the front of the sanctuary. Traditionally it is a raised area.

Does everyone use the word sanctuary? I have also heard gathering space.

What about the nave and the apse? Are these terms just used in cathedrals? Both are good Scrabble words and also show up in Crosswords.

Does everyone use the word sanctuary? I have also heard gathering space.
Sanctuary would be the traditional one, I think. Gathering space is more modern, or at least strikes me as something suited to a congregation trying to modernize and be less "church-y".
What about the nave and the apse?
I think I have heard of these being used for non-cathedral churches but certainly not in common use like "narthex" and "sanctuary".

Doxxing is now a thing you do if you expose someone' s personal identity on an internet forum.

Reminded me of doxology when I first encountered it.

Or words like 'doxology' or 'offertory' too.
Liturgical Greek, eh. That's one thing the UU fellowship had largely done away with even before I came along. "Closing words" instead of "Benediction", no doxology (forget the term used) and so on. But with their humanist roots, even calling the place a church could be controversial so not being "church-y" was a bit of a thing with them.

Altar, lecturn, pulpit and communion table confused me when I was a kid.

Surprising how many church folks haven't heard of Cruxifusion. Seriously.

Fellowship.

I know of a church which has renamed the Fellowship Room. It is now the Friendship Room

Friendship Room; where much chewing of the unknown fat occurs ... AI, or plastic neurology ... neuroplasticity as toxic?

People lie about thoughts and how they kill desires ...

And enigmatically the books are thrown at us ...

Many are excluded for mysterious reason creating a black market in printing science!

Wait ... id'll hit you in time ... much of it out there ... passed!

Back