Abortion law changes and challenges

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Lastpointe

I have read with dismay the news of the abortion access issues in the USA. Now several states have passed draconian, in my opinion, changes. The « heartbeat » laws and now Alabama with its new law

I wonder if we will see women coming north for abortions as well as people coming north for cheaper drugs

I was listening to a program on this. In addition to the alarming nature of the law itself, I find it extremely alarming that they are making these controversial laws specifically so they will be challenged and taken to the supreme court. The fact that tje court is made of anti-abortion and arguably anti-woman judges is a huge concern. Sadly, I believe Margaret Atwood was highly prophetic.

I have read with dismay the news of the abortion access issues in the USA. Now several states have passed draconian, in my opinion, changes. The « heartbeat » laws and now Alabama with its new law

I wonder if we will see women coming north for abortions as well as people coming north for cheaper drugs
Access can be a problem here too though, so it's not the easiest thing. Chemguy heard a woman (maybe on the radio, not sure) who described the issues she had getting one here. She doesn't have a GP which certainly complicated things. She went to a walk-in where the doctor was morally opposed and was quite inappropriate IMO. She went to the emergency room 'that's not what they do there'. It did sound like she didn't have all her facts correct (or Chemguy mistold some of it to me), but navigating it the system isn't the simplest and appointments can be difficult to get. I think her age/limited experience with the medical system and possibly education may have been limited, but to be perfectly honest if I was looking to get one I don't know what the best 'first stop' would be - I know I would go to my GP first but I don't know if that's what's considered ideal.
Alberta is at least better than some provinces regarding access, so when it's tough here it's even harder elsewhere.

Amanda Palmer, the US singer-songwriter-performance artist I sometimes post in the music threads, is touring right now and is focussing closely on abortion since the new album touches on, among other things, her own abortions (two, IIRC). Someone was suggesting touring artists who are pro-choice boycott those states and Palmer countered that they should not only play those states, but talk about it from the stage (which she is doing anyway due to the content of the album) and invite pro-choice groups to have tables and such. Her husband, author Neil Gaiman, is helping get the word out, too, both in his own tweets and by re-tweeting hers.

Amanda Palmer, the US singer-songwriter-performance artist I sometimes post in the music threads, is touring right now and is focussing closely on abortion since the new album touches on, among other things, her own abortions (two, IIRC). Someone was suggesting touring artists who are pro-choice boycott those states and Palmer countered that they should not only play those states, but talk about it from the stage (which she is doing anyway due to the content of the album) and invite pro-choice groups to have tables and such. Her husband, author Neil Gaiman, is helping get the word out, too, both in his own tweets and by re-tweeting hers.

Imagine the American gods ... Isle go for the sinking daemons as well thunk! Gods of war despise undermining mental activity ... there are exceptions to the Roue'L ...

I could see this happening - or at least women travelling to other more liberal states. However, and it's a big however, there are many women who will not be able to afford to travel - heck, some can hardly take a local bus. Those women will be at such risk & some will die - as has been the case in the past.

My dtr posted on bf a meme - something to the effect of 'be anti-abortion for yourself if you wish. But be pro choice for others - especially for those whose child you will do absolutely nothing to support or care for in any way once born.' Sigh.

It is such a retrograde step; quite dangerous signal I think. And with talk of pending 'war' with the mid-east ... it's certainly disturbing to me.

I had heard this too about film crews etc. boycotting these states. Reminds me of the embargo on South Africa during apartheid years.

Ah, Lysistrata. Aristophanes would have a field day in our modern world.

(For those not in the know, Lysistrata is a comic play by the Athenian writer Aristophanes in which the women of Athens(?) withhold sex to try to pressure the men into ending a war)

Thus crewed by self inflicted mean ...

I wonder how easy it is for Americans to order Mifegymiso from Canadian online pharmacies. There have been changes in Canada to make it easier to get, but there are still restrictions, some of the rules are provinicial. A prescribing pharmacist cannot prescribe it, it must be a physician. Also, one needs to have a consultation with the pharmacist if it's being used at home.
I understand some of the restrictions, as there are safety concerns but we allow midwives to do home births which have greater safety concerns.

In Ontario, it's still fairly restrictive, in that it has to be a specially trained GP or NP to prescribe.

Abortions will happen. But they will be illegal ones and perhaps more dangerous

I listened to a woman talk of being raped and impregnated

Her response if she was forced to carry it to term? I most likely would have committed suicide

I get that religious folks find this the most important issue is the USA. Certainly they worry about this more than child poverty, spousal abuse, opioid addictions, lack of health care, access to good education.........

It just makes no sense. We force you to carry that fetus to term. But hey, then get on with life and don’t expect a handout or up from the state. That poor, hungry child is your problem

Can someone clarify...can women who travel to other states for abortions, be arrested upon return?

I posted about this when I first heard it. It was alarming. However I think some of the details I heard were speculation, and not quite correct. Women can be charged, though, if their miscarriage is found to be a self induced abortion...which exposes women to invasive questioning and judgement, I would think.

:)

Can someone clarify...can women who travel to other states for abortions, be arrested upon return?

I posted about this when I first heard it. It was alarming. However I think some of the details I heard were speculation, and not quite correct. Women can be charged, though, if their miscarriage is found to be a self induced abortion...which exposes women to invasive questioning and judgement, I would think.

The problem is that it is all state level, so your answer could be different in different states and could require reading through each bill. That said, since women aren't visibly pregnant that early, slipping away to "visit relatives out of state" could, and probably will, happen.

In the end, this is all details. It is an attack on women's freedom and autonomy pure and simple, details notwithstanding.

The problem is that it is all state level, so your answer could be different in different states and could require reading through each bill. That said, since women aren't visibly pregnant that early, slipping away to "visit relatives out of state" could, and probably will, happen.

In the end, this is all details. It is an attack on women's freedom and autonomy pure and simple, details notwithstanding.
Except, details like that do matter if women in horrible circumstances are not only left to seek abortions elsewhere, or by other means...but also, the women themselves can be arrested and go to jail for murder or equivalent serious crime.

Back