A footnote to my old thread "Secular Summer Camps"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

chansen

Still waiting...
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Reference: Secular summer camps

That was in 2018 when my daughter's confidence really started to flourish. Her marks shot up, her social abilities improved and she started to get a handle on her anxieties. We wanted to get her to a camp.

Looking at options, I noted all the Christian camps, and the lack of secular options in comparison. Again, I wasn't worried Claire would be converted - I was worried she would not feel welcome or get into theological arguments and get kicked out.

Well, she went to camp all these years, except one Covid year in 2020, and I think her experience is best summed up by this photo of her we found on the camp website, playing her guitar for other campers:

August-2022-50.jpg

She tells us she was playing "Try This At Home" by Frank Turner.

She was experimenting with guitar when we signed her up. The concept of her playing for others, even in a camp setting, was out of the question. Camp, as it turns out, was a good decision.

She tells us she was playing "Try This At Home" by Frank Turner.

She was experimenting with guitar when we signed her up. The concept of her playing for others, even in a camp setting, was out of the question. Camp, as it turns out, was a good decision.
Amen. And she's playing Turner songs? Fantastic. Let me know if she ever decides to "go electric". I might have some suggestions. Assuming you're okay with the volume turned up to 11 and her headbanging.

I'm led to understand that very loud sources tend to cause nebulous processing apparatus ... thus the Greek aversion to rhetoric as kerygma ... just additional bull horning ... quiet is better for mental processing ... thus Bat intelligence as they sound the pools out ... and the Dark Knight Rises ... silently!

Sometimes it is hard to get complex missals across loud mediums ...

Looking at options, I noted all the Christian camps, and the lack of secular options in comparison.
Seemed odd to me then, and odd to me now. I feel like I'm way more aware of secular ones, friends went to secular ones.
Google though, it's summer programs/day camps etc. that are the secular ones.
Super local, the residents association does day camps in the summer too, with one night at the lake but that's for families to pitch tents, not counsellors taking care of them.
When I dig into the sleep away camps those are mostly Christian.

That explains a lot I think - liability and trust about who is taking care of kids at night.

I'm glad you found a great fit for Claire!

Amen. And she's playing Turner songs? Fantastic. Let me know if she ever decides to "go electric". I might have some suggestions. Assuming you're okay with the volume turned up to 11 and her headbanging.
We're waiting for Frank to come back to Toronto. We'll go together. I don't think she's an electric guitar girl. She slows the songs down and plays them her way.

She changed a couple of lyrics to clean them up for camp, but the story is her friends encouraged her to go up and play one evening, and she did. And someone was there from the camp to capture the moment. Claire wasn't aware the picture existed. Apparently this time went over so well she did it again later in the camp.

Not a bad backdrop, either.

Looks like you found the right fit for Claire. My daughter was a bad fit for even United Church camps (but this was the girl who started seriously trying to leave home at 13 and succeeded for the first time at 17; she's moved back twice though, so it's all good), but my son was a very good fit and even did the Counsellor in Training, which get used to get a super-cool six day canoe trip along the French River. And as adults, Erin is not interested in church (describes herself as Pagan Christian-ish if pressed, and comes to church once a year - for Mother's Day), and my son looks for United churches wherever he finds himself (he now 'attends' my church on-line because the congregation on Salt Spring Island is "ancient, xenophobic and not at all interested in social justice").

Some norms are reversed on Salt Spring. On an island of hippies, perhaps it would tend to be the more conservative types who would be attracted to Christianity, or so it appears, in this case. (Also, a very elderly, and shrinking, congregation, which exacerbates the waiting to die sort of inward-lookingness.)

Xenophobic? Salt Spring? Doesn’t surprise me one bit. It’s very wealthy and mostly white. You have to be wealthy to have property, even vacation, there. Unless you bought the property 30 yrs ago or more - but by now you’d be wealthy anyway.

Maybe more xenophobic because, sadly, a lot of the hippies have taken a right turn - or at least a more conservative turn. Especially the rich white ones. Not everyone - but at the end of the day on the BC coast, not much differentiates the wealthy “hippies” from the rest of the wealthy mainstream except dress code. It’s become clearer over the past few years - that the peace n love stuff is often rendered empty by wealth - they lose touch. Which makes me sad.

That said Raffi still seems like a great person - and he’s not alone.

Last edited:
I met Raffi at the market on Salt Spring Island :) Just a lovely to chat with in person and I had anticipated. I really like his Child Honouring philosophies & work of his foundation. His sister was our provincial Privacy Officer here in Ontario for many years. What an interesting family dinners they must have!

Blues guitarist and singer Harry Manx lives there (or did when I was hearing him regularly on CBC and other sources) and he has always seems like a pretty good sort. Originally from the Isle of Man (hence Manx) but moved to Canada at some point in his life, forget when.

Blues guitarist and singer Harry Manx lives there (or did when I was hearing him regularly on CBC and other sources) and he has always seems like a pretty good sort.

Saw him at the Jazz Festival in Montreal some years ago. Came across as a very genuine person, very in tune both with the audience and with the people with whom he was playing.

Saw him at the Jazz Festival in Montreal some years ago.
Did he have that Indian instrument he uses, kind of a weird cross between a slide guitar and a sitar? Apparently at one point, he and George Harrison had the only two outside India, both received from Manx's Indian music teacher.

Yes, as I recall. (And a quick check of YouTube finds a clip from that show (apparently 2010, which sounds about right), and I think that's a regular dobro he's playing there, BUT he played more than one instrument that night.)

Blues guitarist and singer Harry Manx lives there (or did when I was hearing him regularly on CBC and other sources) and he has always seems like a pretty good sort. Originally from the Isle of Man (hence Manx) but moved to Canada at some point in his life, forget when.
Saw him at a folk festival years ago. Might have been Summerfolk in Owen Sound.

There is something about camp which allows youth to explore. A trust that can develop.

Glad that it worked out
Yeah, and nobody tried proselytizing to her so she didn't have to lay waste to anything.

She has been invited back next year as a counsellor-in-training (CIT) for a month. So she works, and we pay (half). Yay!

Oh well. She can do things for my company for the rest of the summer.

Back