3...2...1...legal

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
May depend on location. Because we're reasonably close to Toronto, perhaps, there's a significant cannabis sub-culture here, several vape shops, etc.

And often not a huge cross-over between those who like to drink and those who'd rather indulge in herb. Many of my daughter's friends actively dislike drinking behaviours.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
May depend on location. Because we're reasonably close to Toronto, perhaps, there's a significant cannabis sub-culture here, several vape shops, etc.

And often not a huge cross-over between those who like to drink and those who'd rather indulge in herb. Many of my daughter's friends actively dislike drinking behaviours.
Huh, besides one person I know who has had a prescription for a while, the people I have known to use pot were also drinkers. I can't think of a single person I know as a rec user who didn't drink.

revjohn

Apparently we had some midnight openings here on the Island so that somebody could claim to be the first to buy it legally in Canada.

Don't know who took that dubious honour.

Most of our local news is full of very, very angry people who stood in line for limited run of Come From Away happening here in St. John's that was sold out in seconds after the wickets opened.

You might think Newfoundlanders are sweet peace loving people. That changes when they feel they have been cheated big-time. And right now most of the island is quite rotted that they weren't able to get one of the 8,000 tickets that went on sale.

I can empathize with some of the stories. Some got onto the online que and were told they would have a 3 minute weight then it was getting bumped to 16 to 20 to 40 to 80 minutes. How do you jump ahead in an electronic que?

Anyway. We didn't get tickets which is good it means I can go outside without fear of getting roughed up.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
As of midnight tonight, cannabis will be legal in Canada. Depending on which province you live in, the rules are different, but like it or not, it's here.

For some of us, it's unbelievable it's taken so long; but for others it should never have happened. I expect most are in some way ambivalent and adopting a "wait and see" stance.

So....Happy Dance? Meh? Too Soon? Never?

I wonder if the website will crash!!!
It'll b another chance for our Plant Allies to help us heal ourselves and through that our world

Untighten some diamondmind making sphincters

Machine elves and Gemmin,
Inannawhimsey

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I'm really not sure what everyone's getting so excited about. Cannabis has been criss-crossing the country via mail extremely liberally the last few years. My 89 year old mother-in-law-type has a prescription for her restless leg syndrome. (Sub-lingual CBD oil; it works.)

ninj

I just am
I'm really not sure what everyone's getting so excited about. Cannabis has been criss-crossing the country via mail extremely liberally the last few years. My 89 year old mother-in-law-type has a prescription for her restless leg syndrome. (Sub-lingual CBD oil; it works.)

1976...Hope, BC. My then boyfriend and I are travelling west and we stop at the house of a friend. His mother (at the time 55ish? and her friend...70ish are on their way to Bingo. They blaze a joint together before heading out and the older lady says, "I'll sleep well tonight".

41BiyTm3KML.jpg

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Question because I'm too lazy to look up the info myself. I know it's not legal to sell edibles. Is it legal to make them for personal use and consume them in public areas where smoking is allowed? What about sharing?
There's a fair bit of talk about the legalization but I haven't heard that covered at all, just curious.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Bit of a sad day for me and others like me. We began using the weed in our youth. It was a mark of our resistance to status quo. It was also a very effective eye opener.

We dared dream of a day when capitalism would be vacated. Dared resist the expectation of our forbears and step out in new directions. Many were attracted to the initial appearing of the opportunity. By increments the majority slipped back into the common consciousness promoted by the assorted corporate advertisers.

A minority persisted in non-conformity and non-compliance with the expectations of church and state. You might say we took Jesus as an exemplar of non-violent resistance of power in the hope of benefit to all persons of any social economy. Sad to think that capitalism has captured the weed and will make use of it to serve its own interests.

In the media politicians suggest that the legalization strategy will overcome the influence of organized crime. It will not. But this is beside the point. The government has criminalized thousands of home growers who have cultivated the weed and shared it with family, friends, neighbours and a net work of related persons. Why were local entrepreneurs not granted permission to continue with their cultivation and distribution? To serve corporate interests!

I purchase one ounce every four months. This from the friend of a nephew. Our relationship of mutual benefit is now two years old. This person learned the art of cultivation growing up with his father. While illegal this fellow was at risk. Now he is at high risk. So much so that he may discontinue. I have had similar relationships in every city where we have lived.

Barbara's preference is that we grow it in the garden with our zucchini, beets, beans, potatoes and such. Not permitted in Manitoba. Why? No cutting into corporate profits allowed?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla-in-law
Barbara's preference is that we grow it in the garden with our zucchini, beets, beans, potatoes and such. Not permitted in Manitoba. Why? No cutting into corporate profits allowed?

I have no idea why this was left in provincial hands since it creates an uneven playing field for those who want to grow their own. Ontario is allowing up to four plants per household, Manitoba isn't. I think growing for personal use should be allowed cross-country. I believe making this a provincial decision was one of the Senate's amendments but can't confirm just now.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
While in Vancouver I became friends with Chris Bennett. He was producer at Pot TV at the time. Our conversations imagined a cannabis friendly church in East Vancouver. Project delayed due busy times at the church supporting street sex workers addicted to crack cocaine.

Here is a bit of Chris on cannabis and religion:

Mendalla

Shopify, which provides a platform for online retail, is running online pot shops for several provinces including Ontario. They report orders were coming in at a rate of 100/minute this morning.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I have no idea why this was left in provincial hands since it creates an uneven playing field for those who want to grow their own. Ontario is allowing up to four plants per household, Manitoba isn't. I think growing for personal use should be allowed cross-country. I believe making this a provincial decision was one of the Senate's amendments but can't confirm just now.
I think it makes sense to have it provincially done due to precedent with alcohol.
While having the rules be consistent across Canada would make things simpler, the same goes for alcohol as well.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I know it's not legal to sell edibles. Is it legal to make them for personal use and consume them in public areas where smoking is allowed? What about sharing?

It is legal to purchase weed and make your own edibles. Making cannabutter is a simple process. However, quite honestly, the price of the stuff you're buying at the Cannabis Store is so high as to make edibles from that pretty cost-prohibitive. I make a simple fairly consistent cookie (1/2 a cookie makes sure almost anyone has a pleasant night's sleep without any particular feeling of 'intoxication'), but I'm not using commercial cannabis flowers, but rather "trim" from trimming the small crystall-y leaves off buds before smoking/vaping them. I also use leftover vaped material for the same purpose.

I believe it's also legal to share cookies, but not sell, in the same way that my Italian gf shares homemade wine. We trade wine for cookies actually.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
I had a chuckle when I saw a map graphic for the # of retail stores in the various provinces - BC just 1; Newfoundland & Labrador leading the pack with 24! Ontario where we have a premier who was a known drug dealer in high school - zero!!

Mendalla

Ontario where we have a premier who was a known drug dealer in high school - zero!!

Until April, then God only knows. Depends on who they sell licenses to. If a big chain like Loblaw/Shoppers gets a license, could be very widespread.

Apparently, here, the "grey area" pot shops, of which there are many, were having big 50%-70% off sales of their candy and edibles and teas and balms - and I don't think they cared who bought it as long as they were adults. The stores are visible and respectable looking places. One of them is half a block from a police station. It's been operating for years. I haven't been in but they have "candy" in old fashioned candy machines. I've seen photos, and it is directly across from one of my bus stops. It used to be a trendy diner about 20 yrs ago, and they kept the old sign on it. I was reading up on it last night - some of these "grey market shops" will be gambling on staying open. Others will close for now because they've all been warned by the Government that their retail applications are at risk if they don't close up and wait and they won't risk it. However, one of the shops, which is a chain of stores, has a good relationship with the city and thinks they will eventually get properly licensed so they plan to stay open.

The compassion clubs - I was reading about them too - the first to open and try to buck the system, have always operated as a place for people who use pot medicinally, even before it was legal. For AIDS patients in the 80s and so on, to use pot for pain, and as place for social support. And they helped get medical marijuana legal after being raided and fined and arrested several times but they just kept at it. They are going to be at risk for selling their cheap home baked cookies and such. I feel saddest for them because their fight was a just one. They are not and never were competing with the trendy shops. But those shops have them to thank for being able to do business now.

Last edited: