2021 Canadian Federal Election Thread

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Looking at the map for the LIberal seats there is a bit of how do they get to that many? The distinction between the red ridings really doesn't show up well.

Under Proportional Representation, Bernier would be selecting 17 other PPC Candidates to join him on Parliament Hill in the Opposition Back benches and the Greens would be shut out.

The Conservatives would have no more seats than they won under FPTP and it is most likely that Trudeau would approach the NDP in a bid to retain the Government under a proof that he has the support of the majority of the house (113 Lib + 62 NDP = 175 seats).

As it is we now have 2 Greens 0 PPC and the Liberals relying primarily on the NDP to maintain confidence.

Not unhappy with FPTP picketing hospitals and throwing rocks at heads of state should not be rewarded.

Under Proportional Representation, Bernier would be selecting 17 other PPC Candidates to join him on Parliament Hill in the Opposition Back benches and the Greens would be shut out.

The Conservatives would have no more seats than they won under FPTP and it is most likely that Trudeau would approach the NDP in a bid to retain the Government under a proof that he has the support of the majority of the house (113 Lib + 62 NDP = 175 seats).

As it is we now have 2 Greens 0 PPC and the Liberals relying primarily on the NDP to maintain confidence.

Not unhappy with FPTP picketing hospitals and throwing rocks at heads of state should not be rewarded.

However as we do more of the same (under the blind belief that all things are fixed) there is an urge to be foul ... as power does put the significant information and intelligence group down.

However with pure intelligence and little care ... that wouldn't work either ... but both ends work meanly against the processing medium ... and thus it all turns into fecund matter for another turn ... thus crabs and cranks about how rigidity sticks to the abysmal ... a sink hole?

Hoo dahth unque it ...

The mail in votes cannot be counted until after the polls close to ensure people did not vote in person as well as mail in a ballot.

Be interesting to see if the mail-ins make any difference. Not like to shift anything major but could change a riding or two here and there. I saw a headline skate by that they had shifted Peterborough-Kawartha here in Ontario but haven't chased down details.

Be interesting to see if the mail-ins make any difference. Not like to shift anything major but could change a riding or two here and there. I saw a headline skate by that they had shifted Peterborough-Kawartha here in Ontario but haven't chased down details.
One of the ridings in Edmonton is fairly close 3 ways. They weren't calling it yet last I looked, mail ballots will likely be important there.

One thing I think really needs fixing is equity within voting. My riding had almost 12x the number of votes as another. There isn't updated population data, so this is the best info I can find. Why should one person's vote have more than 10x the weight has another person's?

The three territories have very small populations. PEI is guaranteed 4 seats in our constitution. Those 4 seats cannot be part of any comparison of the value of one's vote.

The three territories have very small populations. PEI is guaranteed 4 seats in our constitution. Those 4 seats cannot be part of any comparison of the value of one's vote.
The disparity doesn't need to be that large though. If PEI needs 4 why not scale up the other areas proportionality?

Proportional representation would alleviate some of the disparity of riding sizes caused by differences in population density.

Germany has elections on Sunday. They have proportional elections. All candidates who get majority in their ridings get in and then the seats get calculated according to how many % their party got overall. If more candidates got in directly that the % of the party votes, the other parties get extra seats to make up for the % they achieved. The number of seats without the balancing seats are somewhere around 600. If they have to make up more, it could be over 800. That adds a lot of expenses to gouvernment.

Germany has elections on Sunday. They have proportional elections. All candidates who get majority in their ridings get in and then the seats get calculated according to how many % their party got overall. If more candidates got in directly that the % of the party votes, the other parties get extra seats to make up for the % they achieved. The number of seats without the balancing seats are somewhere around 600. If they have to make up more, it could be over 800. That adds a lot of expenses to gouvernment.

Confused. How does proportional election add to costs? Additional calculations post ballot?

The regular seats in German Bundestag is 598. Every person elected with the first vote ( the direct candidate) is guaranteed a seat. If his party doesn’t get as many percentages with the second vote as it has direct seats, the other parties are getting extra seats, so the the percentage of that party equals the percentage of the second vote for the party. That way, right now, there are actually 709 members of Bundestag right now. For tomorrow election, they are worried, that even more people of parties which are not getting the overall percentage are getting elected, bringing the numbers to over 800 or even 1000.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for proportional elections. But they might have to figure out something different to deal with this issue.

Population density may be a natural hint for reduction by mysterious means as mother nature descends on us with dis ease ... the final solution in a metaphor?

Just imagine is she gets upset! Meta phors will fly like Pegas ... thus pig as in heaven at de trough ... politicians?

Back