2021 Canadian Federal Election Thread

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Heard talk on CBC that the conservatives probably wont attack Trudeaus response to the pandemic but concentrate more on staying on the topic of who will be the best leadership for rebuilding after the pandemic.
Possibly a better strategy seeing as polls suggest that most agree Trudeau did an okay job, unfortunately Otoole is leading that approach.

One thing I note is that Trudeau went for the minimum possible campaign length (vs. Harper's 2015 call where he went for a long campaign). I assume this is somehow strategic but haven't really figured out how.

Heard talk on CBC that the conservatives probably wont attack Trudeaus response to the pandemic but concentrate more on staying on the topic of who will be the best leadership for rebuilding after the pandemic.

Which likely really needs to be the focus now. To use a medical metaphor, we are past the acute phase of the illness, now we need to look at how to maintain things through the recovery phase (and maybe the lingering chronic effects).

One thing I note is that Trudeau went for the minimum possible campaign length (vs. Harper's 2015 call where he went for a long campaign). I assume this is somehow strategic but haven't really figured out how.
Because our minds are already frazzled by the pandemic and they probably figure we will want less change right now.

I looked at Elections Canada for info on mail voting. I did a special ballot once, before my wisdom teeth removal and I was questioned why I wasn't just using advanced polls. So I was a little concerned about what reasons ate accepted, it seems like just not wanting to vote in person is a good enough reason.

There's little about how to apply though, other than it can only be done once an election is announced. What more needs to happen? Aren't we at that point?

I suppose we get our own mail in, if I do a mail-in. I say that because the Canada Census never came. Well after
the end was to be, nothing.
Suddenly in early July a knock on my door by someone I didn't let in and a lady, younger than I, papers in hand, said she had my Census.
She told me she could help, or I can do it online, and more. I have till July 31st.
I asked how come we didn't get it by mail.... they had the wrong postal code. Far too many in my building thought we were a lost entity.
And when I went online to do it, sure enough the last 3 digits were off the chart wrong.
At least we got to do it.

I suppose we get our own mail in, if I do a mail-in. I say that because the Canada Census never came. Well after
the end was to be, nothing.
Suddenly in early July a knock on my door by someone I didn't let in and a lady, younger than I, papers in hand, said she had my Census.
She told me she could help, or I can do it online, and more. I have till July 31st.
I asked how come we didn't get it by mail.... they had the wrong postal code. Far too many in my building thought we were a lost entity.
And when I went online to do it, sure enough the last 3 digits were off the chart wrong.
At least we got to do it.
Census isn't how they update the voter's list. That's done using tax returns. So as long as you filed and ticked the little box allowing CRA to communicate your info to Elections Canada you will be on the voter's list correctly. But this will still be using in-person polls and you need to apply for a mail-in ballot if you prefer that. Apparently there is now a website for this rather having to go to a returning office to get one but I have not looked into it yet.

What other ways are there? We often have a place here as we are a seniors building. Sometimes other
people can also vote here, but not last time. Right now the building is still closed. But for the hairdresser
and restaurant for delivery/take out.

I've voted online. and keep track of it, date, time.

I won't be able to, because I have a temporary driver's license until my new photo arrives in the mail. But OTOH, I'm exposed to a million covidiots every month (at least four today, although I served none of them), I think I can pop in for an advanced poll.

BUT, with the Rev away until September 7, if we're having an all-candidates meeting in the sanctuary, someone should be organizing it...

Here is the Elections Canada page on voting by mail.

Basically, once the portal opens, apply as soon as possible. The grounds are listed near the bottom and are broader than usual. For instance, they say people who are in vulnerable populations, which means I can use my diabetes as ground for doing mail-in.
That's a change from earlier. I don't think there needs to be a 'grounds' those are just statements about who SHOULD but any voter CAN.

Earlier it did state that anyone who isn't planning on voting in the in person polls may vote by mail.

I won't be able to, because I have a temporary driver's license until my new photo arrives in the mail. But OTOH, I'm exposed to a million covidiots every month (at least four today, although I served none of them), I think I can pop in for an advanced poll.

BUT, with the Rev away until September 7, if we're having an all-candidates meeting in the sanctuary, someone should be organizing it...
You should still be able to vote by mail.

To be eligible to vote in a Canadian federal election, you must be a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old on election day.

For identity there are 3 options:
  • Provide one piece of government-issued ID​

It must have your photo, name and current address.
    Examples:
    • driver's license or
    • provincial or territorial ID card
  • Provide two pieces of ID​

Show one document with your name and one with your name and address.
    Examples:
    • health card and phone bill or
    • debit card and bank statement
  • Provide an affidavit​

Provide an affidavit, signed before a person authorized to receive oaths in the province or territory, showing your name and home address.
    (This option does not apply to electors applying in person).

Have the parties platforms or promises been posted online yet?
At least Jagmeet has a track record now to fall back on.

Advanced poll was really empty. We met nobody but the staff. Advantage of living in the country. We have aboutthree advance polls within a 4 km radius. Probably for about 15000 residents. Interestingly, because one can go to advance polls wherever you want to, they actually print your ballot right there and then.

NS is actually expected to not have the results ready on voting day, because the mail in ballots and advance polls numbers are at least double what they usually are, so they will need a longer time for counting.

Back