2020 Juno Awards are go (?)

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
As of tonight, one event that hasn't been cancelled due to COVID is the Juno Awards, being held over this weekend in Saskatoon. Alessia Cara, a successful singer-songwriter from Brampton, Ontario is hosting. CBC is livestreaming most of the events, which may be the safest way to enjoy it even if you are in Saskatoon.

Schedule:

Friday Evening - Jazz Showcase with Laila Biali
Saturday Afternoon - Classical Showcase with Julie Nesrallah
Saturday Evening - Awards Dinner with Amanda Parris and Brett Kissel
Sunday Afternoon - Songwriters Circle with Tom Power and Lights
Sunday Evening - Awards Ceremony hosted by Alessia Cara

All on the CBC Music channel on YouTube. I imagine the ceremony on Sunday will be on CBC TV as well.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
The two I am most interested in are the Jazz Showcase and the Songwriters Circle, though I have not heard who, other than Lights, is participating in the circle this year.

The Classical Showcase could be good depending on who it is and what they are performing.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
And they did end up cancelling them, BTW. I imagine it will be revived in some form once things quiet down on the COVID front.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
They played Juno nominated stuff all weekend, though, which was nice. The "Reclaimed" show was particularly illuminating.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Just to bring closure to this thread, they held a virtual Juno awards a week ago to finally announce the winners. CBC has also held multiple Juno virtual songwriters circles on the CBC Music Youtube channel over the past month or so, featuring an array of Canadian artists including Buffy St. Marie, Whitehorse, the Reklaws and more.

If you're wondering who did win:

Alessia Cara, who would have hosted had things gone ahead as planned, took 3 Junos, the most for any artist, with Shaun Mendes close behind with two. And the fan's choice kind of surprised me: Avril Lavigne. I knew she was on a comeback track after some rough years (including, IIRC, a bout with Lyme Disease) but hadn't realized she was popular enough to beat a field that also included Cara and Mendes, Justin Bieber, and The Weeknd.

Last edited:

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
And some Alessia Cara to celebrate.

One of three songs from her Album of the Year-winning album The Pains of Growing that earned her a Songwriter of the Year award.

And another song from that album that wasn't part of the Songwriter award