2015/10/11: Day 21 - Giving Thanks

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

thankful.jpg

Today, I give thanks for generous spirits.

Margaret & Charles Juravinski who with luck and business acumen went from poverty to wealth, selling Flamboro Downs for $75million. They gave $43 million for the creation of the cancer centre, and upon advice, made the donation public hoping others would be encouraged to give and in so doing, created a place where I can be well.

Generosity witnessed in the centre, each and every day: Volunteer drivers who sit all day, awaiting their travellers to finish their treatment. The coffee, juice and cookie cart volunteers who offer everyone a cookie and a smile. The used book tables displayed nice and kept well. The knitted & sewn caps offered free to anyone who needs one.

Generosity offered to me: A practical pillow with fabrics hand selected, and hours of entertainment in a delightful yoda. A bright & cheerful bouquet arriving the day before a key doctor’s appointment reminding me that family knew and cared and continuing with cards arriving that bring a smile to the face (thanks D!). The senior member of the church, a cancer survivor, sending a note in her card, knowing that no treatments are the same, but, offering me strength in the journey. A mug to wrap my hands around with a cup of tea and think of friends. A parcel, wrapped in teal, with a teal notebook, colouring books and crayons for passing through the long days to follow by a person still chasing down that 5yr plan from the cancer which took the colour teal for its fundraising.

The generosity offered to my family: The cookies, dinners, salads that arrive on the doorstep, a simple gift of care. The offers and reoffers of drivers, waiting for the schedule of when drivers are needed, for when family is willing to make the circle wider. The friend who renewed her passport and sought time off so that she could when help was needed.

The generosity of time and support; the little notes and messages in social media. The jokes that are sent.

Sometimes, there is a generosity that I don’t understand or know how to accept. I have people in my networks who believe passionately in the power of intercessory prayer. It is not my belief; yet, I know for those individuals it is sincere. I accept those gifts as well, and am thankful that they care.

I am surrounded by circles of friends who are generous in so many ways.

Yet, I know there are many who are not.

Whose load is so heavy that there is no room to communicate needs.

Whose companions are overburdened themselves with aging or poverty.

Who shout to the heavens “f%^$, I have cancer”.

No room to give thanks this day.

I think of them.

I think of the people that they have been caring for, aging parents, and I hope they too have people stepping in to help them.

I think of their families who worry about them or shoulder extra burden, and I hope someone gives them a hand.

I think of their costs, their worries, and their challenges.

I think of that prayer, and I hope that the intercessory prayer ends up being an activity in real life: a coffee delivered, a call, an offer of a ride.

I think of them.

I have been advised that this journey will transform me.

I give thanks.

Last edited:
Back