2015/10/01: Day 11 - A thing of beauty is a joy forever

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

When you have long days at hospital, there are certain things that fit into the classifications of want, need and desires. I had been using my backpack, but, each bag that I had was designed for travel. So built to be thrown around. Strong, but that strength added unnecessary weight to be carried, a challenge knowing fatigue was in the future. Plus, it was a pain to search for with IV connected to one arm. I trimmed down items to "need"

Oh, how Mary Poppin’s carpet bag would be handy. If you are 50, you likely remember the wonder of it, where she just reached in and pulled out item after item. A delightful bag bringing joy to the children, Michael & Jane, with eyes popping, doubtful looks and giggles.

As of yesterday afternoon, I have my own Vera Bradley joyful "carpet bag", nice & light, plenty of pockets, washable, and just fun.

This morning was spent making small bags of items, tucking things into pockets, getting it ready for today's trip, as well as chemo days.
Each person's list will be different; including how they define the categories, but, I'm going to include mine to give you a sense of contents and given how many will experience treatments in their life, it may help you help someone else prepare.

List:
  • Meds for chemo day. Two small prescriptions but essential to start treatment.
  • My binder with my logs, information on treatment, forms.
  • My purse with all the normal stuff you need, including parking pass, ohip card, cash, smart phone, glucose testing kit
  • Water bottle for refilling – lots of fountains around and buying water is expensive and environmentally foolish.
  • Food for myself and my accompanist
    • if morning, two small bowls of granola, yogurts, spoons, apples, banana
    • For over lunch, cheese, crackers, grapes, veggies/dips
    • Gum (to pass out)
    • Water drops (for those who don’t drink plain water)
  • Things to do (dependent on who is with you)
    • Colouring book & pencils
    • Reading book, magazine or newspaper . I’m a book person.
    • Tablet loaded with music/books/meditation
    • Earbuds
    • Cell phone charger(s)
  • Health care supplies (if nausea or diarrhea strikes in transit)
    • washroom supplies in ziplocs: diaper wipes, depends, salve
    • cleaning supplies in ziplocs: vinyl gloves, chlorox wipes
    • change of clothes (if nausea strikes)
  • Light jacket for rain, cool mornings.
  • Occasional items such as Props: the brownie will show up for a fun photo. A woman brought in a feather boa, a crown, fun glasses, and did photo shoots on her last day with the nurses and her friend. Everyone laughed.
  • Treats for the staff on last day
  • What I don’t need, but, others bring
  • Home made afghan or throw. Some people are cold. With my hot flashes being increased by treatment, the last thing that I want is a throw. (and if I should have a cold day, there are wonderful warmed blankets available)
  • Pillow (there are lots there…I am good with using the hospitals)
  • Snuggly hats for those who are losing their hair.
  • (Added to list: plastic bag (small & large) for dirty clothes)

Bag is packed to go
mary-poppins-bag.jpg

093012.jpg

The first movie that I went to was Mary Poppins with Mom when I was 6. Somehow, I think she would smile at both my new bag, and the carpet bag memories.
For those who don't know the reference, I have included it below.

Last edited:
For those not in my tech circles, CyberArk is the software that I have rolled out at RA for the last 4 years. I have really appreciated the technology as well as the culture of the company. I had asked a couple of my key contacts there to give that extra bit of help to our team due to my absence. They responded with lovely notes and then sent this item. It's that kind of place.

I came home from treatment today to a parcel to open. It was a delightful gift box from my CyberArk family full of yummy treats from Harry and David's perfect for putting in my new bag for chemo days.

To top it off and pure coincidence, it contained brownies. Woot! Good to go for photo op next week.

1001.jpg

Back