2015/09/28: Day 8 - Roller coaster time

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I have felt great post chemo. In fact this weekend, I felt excellent. Saturday was a beautiful day to hangout, do some shopping and relax with T. After she left early Sunday, I had a great morning with a bit of lifting at CrossFit Brantford, some light tasks, and headed over to J&S’s for a short visit. You wouldn’t know that I was having treatment. I felt great though a wee bit jittery like when you’ve had one too many coffees.

I really hate relying on folks, K was working, so I figured that Monday would be a good day to drive myself to treatment. I did remember that the team had cautioned me about the euphoria from the anti-nausea drugs, and the drop once they cleared, but you know, a steroid high does a good job of assisting in denial.

Monday morning, woke up. Whoa…wait…where’s that team of horses that has been pulling me along?

It wasn’t that bad though, I could drive. Easy roads. Lots of time.

Well, remember my post from yesterday? The flip of the waste disposal system protocol decided to happen ¼ of the way to Juravinski, which is typically a 1.25hr drive at that time of the morning. At Rockton, I was pondering where the next Tim’s was. At Copetown, I was getting worried. By the 403, the sweat was dripping off my face. Of course, the highway was bumper to bumper due to rain. Shaking and channeling the strength of those who have IBS, Crohn's and cancer, I got off at Mohawk Rd to the glorious sign of a McDonald’s arches.

Cusses were shortly heard at a “drive-thru only” location. Thankful to the nearby Tim’s…and realizing I may need a map of public washrooms on the route.
sign_bathroom_restroom_symbol.jpg

I’m also pondering suggesting an alarm announcement "Code Plunger" for Juravinski for when the washroom by their front door is “out of order”. It would summon all custodian staff who can repair it as expeditiously as possible. Dang these waste disposal system flip days.

Monday is lab and gyn-oncologist day. Blood work came back excellent. Chemo on Wed is a go. Of course, being Monday, the waiting rooms were stacked. As the day wore on, I found my head leaning against the wall in waiting rooms, or just sitting on the floor rather than standing. Fatigue was kicking in with a vengeance. The last of the steroids must have vacated my blood stream.

A short break in the chapel, closing my eyes for a few minutes after appointments, and I was ready to come home.

Thankful that I was able, recognizing the fatigue is going to get worse.

************************************************************************************

K is going to drive me tomorrow. I am recognizing the risk, and will also post my schedule for those who wish to offer to help drive.
(Wed's early & long day is covered too, thanks S)

Notes & Comments:

Practical guidance from Qwerty

If you go down highway 24 from Cambridge there is a Tim's at highway 5, a McDonald's on 24 just over the bridge across front the entrance ramp to 403,there is a Macdonald ' s north of 403 at Wayne Gretzky Pkwy, there is food court in the service center at the next exit on Garden Ave, there is a shopping center with a Walmart if you go south at Wilson Road, there are several McDonald's and Tim's as you come in from the Lincoln Alexander on Wentworth before you get to Mohawk College, finally if you park on Mountain Brow and go in the most westerly entrance to Juravinski there is a washroom in the basement hallway that take you over to new wing where radiology is located. Finally there are a couple of bathrooms right near the Hummingbird café before you get to radiation. Don't ask me how I know all this.
Anyway don't drive down highway 8 because if you need to stop there are not that many places. Better to go 24 to 403 to Lincoln Alexander to Upper Wentworth straight over to Concession where you go right and then left onto a side street one block to Mountain Brow.

From a friend who is a medical professional at Juravinski
Wellwood is located in the hospital if you need a quiet space between appointments

Back