“Are we done fighting?- Peace skill workshop

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I am looking for additional people interested in the following workshop, planned to happen on a Wednesday afternoon/ evening 7- 8.30 Atlantic Time, so 6-7.30 Eastern Time. Once 15 people are interested ( so far, we are 8), I will check with the presenter when he can start the workshop.
To participate, you do not have to have read the book, but the workshop will be based on it. A link to an example chapter can be found below.
Participants need to make a commitment to the full 5 weeks workshop. Once I know the start date, I will contact everybody to confirm they are still committed.
This is a workshop with presentation and personal exercises and group exercises to enhance your own experience and growth. This will not be a general discussion about what’s wrong with other people and the world.
If interested, please contact me by wondermail and I will let you know when the group is complete and the start date. If there are several people from WC2, we might choose to discuss our experience under study group, of course, following the rules of confidentiality as usual in those groups.
Free chapter of the book here,
arewedonefighting.com

Are We Done Fighting? a book full of practical skills for responding to hate

Looking for evidence-based tools for communication, community building, overcoming prejudice and biases, and living out your values? Are We Done Fighting?
arewedonefighting.com
arewedonefighting.com

Description and website here:

Attachments​

• 1612485257413.jpeg
    1612485257413.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 1

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....

Luce NDs

Work?????????? Omaha God ... what happened to the ide-a Less 've leisure for all?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I'm going to mention it to my Tuesday Night Progressive Christianity group. One of the original founders of the group, who is now well into his 80s, pretty well deaf and with a lot of disabilities, is actually a Quaker, and he's still on the weekly e-mail missive of "what we're up to". And I've got another fellow, who has actually used the possibility of Zoom to be able to help me co-facilitate, or even facilitate, our Tuesday nights, who joined the church about five years ago from a Unitarian/Humanist group in the area, who has some similar interests. Also some members associated with KAIROS, Amnesty International, so maybe I can promote it in my Sunday missive to the group and we might get a person or two interested, that it might also fit their current schedule (I will give up one Board meeting night so that I can attend all five sessions).

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I'm going to mention it to my Tuesday Night Progressive Christianity group. One of the original founders of the group, who is now well into his 80s, pretty well deaf and with a lot of disabilities, is actually a Quaker, and he's still on the weekly e-mail missive of "what we're up to". And I've got another fellow, who has actually used the possibility of Zoom to be able to help me co-facilitate, or even facilitate, our Tuesday nights, who joined the church about five years ago from a Unitarian/Humanist group in the area, who has some similar interests. Also some members associated with KAIROS, Amnesty International, so maybe I can promote it in my Sunday missive to the group and we might get a person or two interested, that it might also fit their current schedule (I will give up one Board meeting night so that I can attend all five sessions).
It is presented by a Quaker, but we actually now also have a Baptist with lots of Social Justice activism in the group of interested people. It really has nothing to do with denominations.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Yeah, thinking it will particularly appeal to those with pacifist/peace language background. I am a complete non-violent communication hanger-on, a la the late Marshall Rosenberg, and had an acquaintance who was an active member of the NYCNVC (New York Centre for Non-Violent Communication) do an intro evening for my group.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I spend a lot of time trying to wrestle my righteous anger into work that unites people, and it's so hard, and it's a balance between attitude and communication.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I spend a lot of time trying to wrestle my righteous anger into work that unites people, and it's so hard, and it's a balance between attitude and communication.
Totally feel with you there. That happens to me a lot at work. I have learned a lot from Canadians in the past 20 some years. But- there is also benefits to righteous anger. It helps to not stand down , which has to be done sometimes. I ‘ ve gained the respect of some of my colleagues that way over the years, because I don’t care if that’s a boss or a doctor I am standing up against. Communication is the key, and sometimes just pure repetition.

Luce NDs

Reminds me of Serendipity (para phrased for those believing not in para psyche encounters):
Lord assist me...​
To change the things I can ...​
Leave the things I can't alone ...​
And know the difference ...​

The latter is a bugger under the rule that knowledge is evil, considering all the characters in the ancient texts that crossed strange lands and know the lords Ladies there!

Change and un change???? Is this doable as I do wobble amongst the page's boys ... yet the hum seems to settle the autonomous tensions.

You got to know there is a missal in there somewhere! Like a love in thought it may hit yah ... maybe not! ... given the hard-cased situation!

It is said thoughts are hard to get through ... inhibit the alter process as an opposing urge?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
So, we've started. We've just finished Session 3 of 6. I'm really enjoying it. Very well organized. I was going to start another thread, but maybe people would just like to weigh in on this one?

It has been fun and fascinating to work through some peace skills in the company of quite a few Quakers, who tend to make peace a total focus of their theology. I was speaking to one of them at last night's breakout session, and they mentioned that they don't work for "peace" as much as "change", because the status quo almost inevitably involves "violent" interactions. "Violence" being loosely defined as "power over" versus "power with" or "power within".

Luce NDs

You know there will be folks that will be against it ... if there is something more in it for them!

They can just let it be ... as they fear something ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Interesting article. Especially the point about our tendency to homophily.

I've had two long term partnerships in life, both with people culturally similar to myself and totalling some 40 years. Communication was always difficult anyway, but some common cultural reference points.

A few times in life, I've tried dating men outside my cultural reference point - Jamaican, Quebecois, Jewish - and it was more difficult. I think what's missing is the common "matrix" or "background". Makes making it work a much more deliberate effort.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I could very much agree to making up your own memories. Glad to hear that isn’t just a memory problem. Reading the book for the second time with the addition of the webinar, it supports the insight one is having from reading it alone. It also explains a lot of what is happening here on WC. I can only recommend to take the course.
To do so, you can sign up on the CFSC website ( Peace | Canadian Friends Service Committee (Quakers) ). You will need the book/ ebook as you read along with the course.